Alfa Romeo Forums banner

GTV6 engine removal final steps - driveshaft questions

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Baz70 
#1 ·
hi, I'm in the process of removing the engine from my non-running 1982 GTV6.

I've followed the factory manual guidelines and am nearing final steps. plan is to decouple driveshaft from bellhousing end. I am not able to move the driveshaft, it feels stuck and moves very little when turned. Car was supposedly in neutral and also engine did turn over but i have not cranked it recently.

Anyone know what socket size in mm to turn crank ? will this move the driveshaft so i can get to the 3 bolts holding driveshaft to Guibo in bellhousing ? if not, any other suggestions to get to the bellhousing bolts?

thanks in anticipation.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Lifting a rear wheel off the ground should let the engine, gearbox & driveshaft turn, if car was accidentally put into gear. A spanner on one of the driveshaft Bolts/nuts should give sufficient leverage to turn everything, especially with spark plugs removed.

#3 ·
If the car has a mechanical cambelt tensioner the engine should not be rotated backward as the chances of the belt jumping a few teeth on one of the cams is high. I second randz suggestions pull the plugs and rotate the driveshaft from underneath the car with ring spanner
The very early GTV6's did not have a pinch bolt, it's hard to see in your photo if your car has one.
If it does the removal of the driveshaft is a lot easier as the front guibo stays with the flywheel.
Thanks to shiney car for the photo alfaclubvic forum

#4 ·
thanks both. I don't believe my car has the pinch bolt but will check again tomorrow. will attempt to lift rear wheels and rotate driveshaft. Excuse my ignorance but why should i remove the spark plugs when rotating the driveshaft ?

#5 ·
The nuts on the Giubo bolts are 19mm. You may be able to get a socket and long extension and hit them with an impact gun. The driveshaft will not move while you are doing this. Take a good look at the direction of rotation of the engine and paint an arrow on the driveshaft so that you turn it that way to move the Giubo bolts into position for undoing. Compressing the Giubo with a big hose clamp will allow the bolts to come out easily.

#7 ·
thanks, good to know. I have a bigger issue to contend with though, lifted both wheels off ground, they won't move at all. Brakes must be seized. looks like i will need to remove the discs and pads first, unless anyone has a better suggestion. The handbrake cable looks loose so I don't believe its the culprit. Grrrrr..

#10 ·
well after spending all Saturday trying to free the rear wheels and then managing to free the left hand side, i rotated driver shaft a little, only to find that i could not undo the bell housing driveshaft bolts as they kept moving due to the engine turning over.
On Sunday I then looked in the inspection hole and this time saw the pinch bolt which i previously thought the car did not have. I removed the bolt, and after removing the engine mounts tried lifting engine out. It seems to be stuck at the flywheel to steering rack area and the splined propshaft is not fully released.

what drama, i have now left engine on stands removed from engine mounts but not out of the car.

I may have to look at either going for the driveshaft removal option which shop manual instructed (if i do that how do i stop from turning to remove the bolts) or lift engine and remove steering rack to see if i can wiggle splined propshaft and bell housing out and then angle engine out. The manual mentions attaching a lever but can't see where so may have to get fabricated to create one that can attach to the rear engine mount.

any ideas/options very welcome. thanks.

Attachments

#11 ·
If you can get a socet and extension onto the three nuts that attach the yoke then you can remove them using an impact gun and while using a simple rubber strap wrench to prevent the drive shaft and engine from turning. Don't worry about a little engine turning. Unscrewing those nuts is trying to rotate the engine forwards.

#13 ·
The three nuts that attach the yoke to the engine flywheel.

You may be able to slide the driveshaft out of the way without removing it, particularly if the undo the center support nuts. My memory is a bit vague, it is a few years since I pulled a V6 engine. I think that I removed the shaft.

#15 ·
The correct way to remove the engine is to remove the driveshaft FIRST.
Please research the driveshaft and engine removal procedures or ask questions here. trying to ad-lib or bypass the correct procedure will extend the time needed to complete the task and add to your frustrations.

#16 ·
agreed, unfortunately i made an error of judgement and did not follow the manual driveshaft removal steps correctly. Coupled with the fact that the front 3 driveshaft coupling bolts will not undo without whole driveshaft moving (and rear wheels move and cannot hold them still, plus engine turns) I am struggling to now remove the front driveshaft bolts. middle and rear bolts now removed. I also removed the steering rack today to get more access to flywheel when lifting out so some limited success.

Next weekend i will have another go at removing those 3 bolts.....

#17 ·
Have you removed the gear lever to allow room for the driveshaft to be drawn backward.
If your car has the pinch bolt you do not need to remove the three front flywheel/shaft nuts to remove the shaft

#18 ·
Baz, when I did my engine swap, the way to go was to back off the pinch bolt on the front drive shaft spline that you have now found that you have (win!) then disconnect the driveshaft from the transaxle at the rear after marking orientation to keep drive shaft balance and then slide the driveshaft towards the back of the car. As Glen states, removal/moving of gear lever mechanism will be required to give you clearance. Once the driveshaft is clear of the splines at the front you should be clear to remove. You may find that lifting the front of the engine up as you lift the engine as a whole will help you guide the bell housing out as you try to get the front past the radiator etc. I did it single-handedly and is the first time I have ever done anything like that. The knowledge I got to be able to do the job is right here in this forum!

Reactions: Baz70
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.