Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been working with a very tight budget on my 1981 GTV6 for the past year. When I got it, it was a well maintained car that had been parked in a garage for nearly 14 years due to a burnt out clutch. I have done all the work myself and am proud to say it is in it's final stages of being completely road worthy again.

Although it may not look like much on the outside, since the paint is heavily crackled, it runs really well (still has a couple of electrical issues I need to sort out, but other than this it is great) and is a blast to drive.

The interior is decent except for the driver side seat. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions on patching up the ripped parts using vinyl patches of similar color.

Here is a photo of a seat, which is not mine, but basically the same as mine.
seat.jpg

While I'm at it, does anyone have suggestions on restoring to decent condition heavily crackled paint? Here is an actual photo of my paint condition:
paint.jpg

Thank you all for your time and comments.

Cheers,
Igor

·
Administrator
17,066 Posts
I suspect the paint is beyond hope.

If you can disassemble the seat - remove the covering - and take it to an upholstery shop, the cost to make repairs would likely not be too dear. Much of the cost otherwise would be the labor charge to disassemble/reassemble the seat. I did this with the seats in our Spider (albeit a few years ago) to have a number of split seams re-sewn.

In our GTV6, there were tears in the outer 'bolster' of the driver's seat. I removed the material and glued patches in from the inside. The repairs, while not perfect, are almost unnoticeable unless you get very close.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the tip. That's a great idea. I could install the passenger seat in place of the driver's seat while the upholstery shop works on the cover. Except for the placement of the knobs, I believe they are symmetrical, correct?

Igor

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Igor,

Some years ago a friend of mine was pleasantly surprised to find that 'wet sanding' his paintwork with wet-and-dry paper took the paint crazing away. There was obviously enough depth to the paint for that to work for him. Yours may well be too far gone (the cracks too deep), but you never know.... It doesn't look like you have much to lose if you were to try it on a section.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Yeesh. And I thought my original paint was bad! I had to get a full respray. I did all of the paint removal at home, as well as some of the bodywork. Towed it to a shop outside of the city and got a pretty decent job for only a few thousand bucks, including rust repair and straightening a door. I reassembled at home and did all of the touch up and color sanding & polishing. It looks way nicer than the price would suggest.

I still need to have the same work done on my seats. The rear seats are splitting, but the material is OK. The fronts have similar rips and I think I might just save up to have them recovered. World Upholstery has complete vinyl and leather kits available.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
That paint has had it and must be completely stripped off. It is not possible to fill those cracks or paint over them, they will simply reappear and you will have wasted your time and money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts