Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy moly. How do you reinstall the dash?! I took mine out no problem to restore the HVAC system, but now I can't get it back in. What is the trick to popping this sucker in?

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I got it in. The real trick is getting it past the a pillars. Once you push and shove and get it past the a pillars, you just have to make sure that the flap that goes up against the window is tucked down, or else it will keep it from going flush.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
It's the brackets on the sides, especially on the driver's side, that are so difficult to align. That's also where the ground wires attach (well, at least in my car).
The other thing to remember is to use a socket driver rather than a ratchet for the two bolts in the upper air vents. Soooo easy to spin the ratchet around and crack the glass. So I hear... No, I actually haven't broken mine, but hearing one solid crack was enough to remind me to never again use a ratchet for that job.

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the brackets on the sides, especially on the driver's side, that are so difficult to align. That's also where the ground wires attach (well, at least in my car).
The other thing to remember is to use a socket driver rather than a ratchet for the two bolts in the upper air vents. Soooo easy to spin the ratchet around and crack the glass. So I hear... No, I actually haven't broken mine, but hearing one solid crack was enough to remind me to never again use a ratchet for that job.
Oh yeah. I figured that out REAL quick... The LAST thing any of us needs is a broken windshield.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Yeah, you found out it doesn't just "pop into place", right? :D It's tough but you're right about the A pillar tight fit. Make sure you get all the ground leads bolted up on the side support strap. And there's another ground wire that attaches to the horizontal brace bar on the left side, below the eyeball vent.

The best part about getting behind the dash is losing those two ridiculous little white buzzers. One for the seat belt, the other for the key in ignition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts