Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of replacing the inner boot of the driver's side CV axle, which had a rip. I read a number of posts here and found this video on YouTube that shows how to separate the joint from the axle (go to the 4:00 mark):

I tried to do the same exact thing (but am putting a piece of paper towel between the hammer and the joint to protect it a little):

IMG_20140804_174318.jpg

IMG_20140804_174307.jpg

but the joint won't budge from the axle.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this particular step?

Also does anyone know where I can find the tool I need to crimp the clamps? (international auto does not have them in stock)

IMG_20140804_181825.jpg

Thank you all in advance.
Igor

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 86spider for your response on the crimping tool. I'll see if Autozone carries them.

Any suggestion on removing the joint from the axle. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Igor

·
Premium Member
27,389 Posts
You have to remove circlip from end of axle before you try to remove CV joint. You need a pair of expanding snap ring pliers with pins to fit holes in circlips. Clean off end of axle to see it.

And if you find your replacement inner boot to small for GTV6 or Milano axle you can use a 164 inner boot. They will work on both inner and outer on those RWD axles.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Once the clip is removed it may slide off or require a nudge from a dead blow hammer or such.

A couple could not be separated and one of the zipper boots was used.

·
Registered
120 Posts
No wonder it won't budge since you haven't even removed the back cover ;P Flathead screwdriver and hammer will do the job. Once it's off remove the circlip as mentioned before, now the cvj will easily slide off the shaft. While you are at it I would buy new circlips since the ones that are on gtv6 tend to deform while taking off, and may not fully engage in the groove afterwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts