Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would take the car out of hibernation today. Started right up, as it has every couple weeks all winter, thanks to the IACC mod that has been described here. Best modification I have done. Thanks to all who took the time to write up the procedure. But back to the point, after a warm up I took a light and inspected the entire engine bay for any leaks or problems. I caught a glimmer in the valley on top of the block and sure enough, there was a shallow pool of coolant.How long it has been there I don't know. I thought I had seen a thread on this before but can't find it.
Suggestions as to where to start looking ? Thanks

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I found my leak (Milano) at the rear of that valley where the coolant line connects. I can't remember exactly, I think it was a worn out hose connection. This was my excuse to take off the air plenum for a major overhaul: clean up the coolant mess, new fuel connections, all new coolant hoses, new oil pressure (?) sender. And an excuse to re-make the bent 14mm wrench that I loaned out 25 yrs ago to Jerry down in San Diego.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found my leak (Milano) at the rear of that valley where the coolant line connects. I can't remember exactly, I think it was a worn out hose connection. This was my excuse to take off the air plenum for a major overhaul: clean up the coolant mess, new fuel connections, all new coolant hoses, new oil pressure (?) sender. And an excuse to re-make the bent 14mm wrench that I loaned out 25 yrs ago to Jerry down in San Diego.
I'll check that hose out, but it looked OK on first inspection. I'm cleaning out that area now hoping I can pinpoint the leak before i have to pull the plenum.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,534 Posts
The two short hoses from the thermostat housing can leak and pool there. Hopefully that's all it is.

Go to your local auto parts store and rent a cooling system pressure tester. Makes locating those problematic leaks easy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you search under Manual AAV, it should pull up a thread started by good ol' GHNL from May 5, 2011. This and the enclosed links is what I used.
Having grown up driving British cars, using a choke is second nature. I positioned the pull knob for the AAV just above the ignition switch. Right there for when you go to start the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts