Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally gotten back under the gtv6, and checked over the clutch fork and pivot ball. I can get the fork back over the throwoutbearing, but have full play in the fork. I can push it all of the way forward, with no resistance at all. i assume this is not the way it is supposed to be. the pivot is intact and tight. could the bearing have failed, bad pressure plate? Should i be thinking of doing a clutch? Again, any input/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

p.s. i will also post this in alfetta/gtv6. forum.

·
Richard Jemison
7,921 Posts
Redo

I doubt you have the arm slot to the rear of the pivot ball head & in the flats on the "pull out bearing".

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richard,

Thanks again for you reply. I think that the arm is in correctly, there is a distinct orientation that the bearing must be in before it will seat, and have the pivot ball sitting flush with the relieved area of the fork. I can spin the bearing with my finger, and can feel the flats so i can insert the fork. Is there some special "alfa jedi" tecnique that i have missed, does it sit then need to be tapped in to grasp the bearing?

Also, upon getting cold and dark......i stuck my finger up towards the fron of the car and felt the back of the pressure plate?.....behind this (toward the back of the car) I felt what seemed to be a few loose metal rings.......no idea what these are.

·
Richard Jemison
7,921 Posts
Loosr rings??

If the bearing can be pulled away from the PP fingers it is broken. The release bearing is secured behind the fingers with a band (ring) held in place by a hardened "circlip" that fits in a groove in the bearing.
If you can get your fingers to the front side of the PP fingers (the inside) it musta done blowed up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds right to me:mad: Can i just replace the bearing, or should I be looking at an entire clutch assembly?

·
Richard Jemison
7,921 Posts
Bearing replacement

You can replace just the bearing. Be sure that there is no damage to the fingers. and use different wafer spring & retainers since yours failed. All the V6 transaxle cars are the same. I`m sure Larry at APE would pull you a good one with all the clip parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts