Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, I noticed today when replacing the clutch cover bearing that I didn't see any O ring come out as described in the pic below, item number 4. anyone know what it looks like, what it's for and if any use, and if still available? thanks.

https://flic.kr/p/2kGFd1Z

·
Registered
82 Posts
Look at the previous page. It should be an assembly of the clutch. The front bearing recess has a groove in the housing. I think its just to keep water out, otherwise, that clutch portion of the transmission is well ventilated. Big hole on top and hole at bottom.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most likely a generic o-ring.
I bought this, and used 3 in this kit for the hydraulic tensioner.
Warning: Harbor Freight (in the US) doesn't really have a good reputation. I'm sure you have similar in UK. More reputable places force you to buy 100 of a single size.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look at the previous page. It should be an assembly of the clutch. The front bearing recess has a groove in the housing. I think its just to keep water out, otherwise, that clutch portion of the transmission is well ventilated. Big hole on top and hole at bottom.
previous page is the same exploded view but for a single clutch :) Noted on the purpose of the O ring, I don't think I'll be unduly worried about not installing it. thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When removing these type of bearings, I usually have to hammer them out, this is due to corrosion, However, I've noticed, sometimes the new bearings aren't always pressed in, the slide in rather easily. The o-ring may serve to dampen some of the motion. I can only guess at what the original intent was.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
If you have an early version clutch housing it will not have the O-ring. As far as I can tell, the early/GTV6 clutch housings were a lighter weight alloy, maybe Elektron.

The later aluminum Milano clutch housings had the O-ring. They are also visibly thicker in some areas.

I don't know if there is a perfect correlation between the GTV6 twin plate clutch support housings and the Milano single plate support housings. But, I can tell you the early versions are noticeably lighter weight.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have an early version clutch housing it will not have the O-ring. As far as I can tell, the early/GTV6 clutch housings were a lighter weight alloy, maybe Elektron.

The later aluminum Milano clutch housings had the O-ring. They are also visibly thicker in some areas.

I don't know if there is a perfect correlation between the GTV6 twin plate clutch support housings and the Milano single plate support housings. But, I can tell you the early versions are noticeably lighter weight.
thanks Rob, this is useful info, how were you able to confirm that the early GTV6s did not have the O Rings.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
...because I have a bunch of these clutch housings from various transaxle cars, and have observed these differences with my own eyes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts