Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just quickly: were there ever any GTV6 Cloverleafs produced? If so, how rare would they be?

Many Thanks,
Nate

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't think there were any offical "Quads" built, but you had two special editions that I know of, the Maratona and the Balocco (SP?), plus I know the US got the Grand Turismo which I think was mostly a Dealer thing. South Africa got the Carbed 3.0, which I think would have been the closest thing to a GTV6 Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hi,

There were several different versions of the GTV6, but nothing called a "Cloverleaf" to my knowledge. Here is a list of what I know about:

1. 1982 Balocco - Red paint and special black stripes, black and silver wheels, black seat with red piping, special identification, red carpeting. Only 350 numbered cars were built.

2. 1984 Maratona (North America only, I believe) - Fender flares, special front spoiler, rear window louvers, rear license plate cover (standard after 1984 on all GTV6s), black leather interior, silver paint, fog lights. These were not numbered like the Balocco, but only 150 were built (actually standard silver/ black leather GTV6s modified here in the USA).

3. 1985/86(?) Chaparral - I don't know much about these, but they were rare and built by the tuner firm in the UK (I believe). There is a thread about these here somewhere.

4. 1986 Callaway Turbo - Turbocharged and bodily modified by Reeves Callaway in the USA, these are very fast and expensive cars. I believe there were 300 built.

5. Gran Prix - a dealer package I believe...I don't have any info about these. But they seem to have been sold in Europe.

6. 1983/84 South African 3.0L with carbs - Very fast! I believe these were only made and sold in SA as a homologation type of car to permit the GTV6 to race in a specific race class.

Anyone else have any more info? There is a good GTV6 site at AlfaGTV6.com ~ Home of the Alfa Romeo Transaxle.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Nice summary, Alex... I'm making note of it for future reference...

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
4. 1986 Callaway Turbo - Turbocharged and bodily modified by Reeves Callaway in the USA, these are very fast and expensive cars. I believe there were 300 built.
I think only 35 of these were actually constructed, along with 2 Callaway Milanos.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I think only 35 of these were actually constructed, along with 2 Callaway Milanos.

You are correct! I hit an extra zero...but I thought there were only 30. Having researched them, I see that there were 35. Thanks.

Have a read of this article, written by BB member Martin DeCampo and originally published on the now gone website AlfaCentro.com 1999-2005 RIP, which was a really great website before the AlfaBB came along. It was run by another AlfaBB member - Joe Cabibo (JoeCab). The article is here: AlfaCentro.com Feature Article: An Afternoon with Reeves Callaway

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hmmm...

:rolleyes: Does the cloverleaf emblem on the back of my GTV6 (placed by PO) count? :p:D:D:D

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Thanks for the info! There is a really great French language website which has photos and info about all models of the GTV6, including the Callaway and Grand Prix versions. It also has some fabulous pics of the 3.0L SA version. Check it out at: LaGTV6presentGenerale

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
in 83 was there any intent to build more balloco's? or did they build tooo many for 82?....my 83 seems to be a factory balloco clone(red carpet red slashed seat pipeing correct rear vents with the clover mounting holes just no plaque on the glove box or the actual clover on the vents and HUGE emblems over the balloco SE emblem holes)

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
in 83 was there any intent to build more balloco's? or did they build tooo many for 82?....my 83 seems to be a factory balloco clone(red carpet red slashed seat pipeing correct rear vents with the clover mounting holes just no plaque on the glove box or the actual clover on the vents and HUGE emblems over the balloco SE emblem holes)
I have seen another one like yours. I think that Alfa produced more Baloccos than they needed and then just sold them as regular models for 1983, without the badging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts