Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very recently purchased (from another forum member) 1985 GTV6. The previous owner installed the Ronal A1 replicas (which he kept MINT), but he also included the original Campagnolos with the charcoal center, which I would like to switch to. He included what he said were the original lug nuts, but they don't seem to fit the way it appears they should. As you can see in the pics, there is a circle around the tapered hole that appears like it should be for a washer or a nut with a built in washer, but the nut itself is merely tapered.
I've looked at a number of threads on here and have seen discussions of "lug-centric" vs "hub-centric" wheels when discussing what nut to use, but I'm still unclear. What is the actual nut that came stock on these wheel, and is the one that I have pictured the right kind?

·
Registered
179 Posts
As you can see in the pics, there is a circle around the tapered hole that appears like it should be for a washer or a nut with a built in washer, but the nut itself is merely tapered.
I've looked at a number of threads on here and have seen discussions of "lug-centric" vs "hub-centric" wheels when discussing what nut to use, but I'm still unclear. What is the actual nut that came stock on these wheel, and is the one that I have pictured the right kind?
I believe the circle is just a hardened seat for the lug nut. The lug nut in your photo is original and mounts just as you have shown.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Yep - same as my 85 GTV6. I have always found it odd how they sink so deeply into the wheel, but that's what they do.

·
Registered
355 Posts
When I refinished campy wheels, I ordered a set of the proper depth and seat from Centerline, along with new center caps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm now rethinking the Campys. The ones I have have the charcoal center (my '85 is red and those are the original wheels), and I'll be honest, even the really good condition wheels don't look amazing on my car. I think maybe a set of the all silver would look great, but these charcoal center ones just aren't doing it for me. I have some mint condition Ronal A1 replicas with charcoal centers that also came with the car, and those look great, but maybe the charcoals just have to be PERFECT for them to look right. I really love the look of the Campys on a lot of the cars I see on the forum,but like I said, maybe a red car just needs the all silver. Thoughts?

Original Campagnolos

A1 replicas

·
Administrator
16,652 Posts
Those wheels also came in an all silver version. That is what I have on our (Grey) GTV6. A couple of years ago I refinished them with some Rustoleum spray paint. I think it was called Nickel or Stainless Steel. Not a bright, shiny silver.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Generally agreed. These were refinished in a multistage paint to protect the magnesium alloy. Chose a slightly darker silver-grey but with a smoother and more reflective finish than OEM. $125 per wheel. Advantage of the campy wheel is it is super light and strong although some folks think they are a little bit brittle. At 15x6 the max tire is 205/50 or 205/55. The A1 replicas look great, although I would like better in all silver. By

·
Registered
355 Posts
Generally agreed. These were refinished in a multistage paint to protect the magnesium alloy. Chose a slightly darker silver-grey but with a smoother and more reflective finish than OEM. $125 per wheel. Advantage of the campy wheel is it is super light and strong although some folks think they are a little bit brittle. At 15x6 the max tire is 205/50 or 205/55. The A1 replicas look great, although I would like better in all silver. By

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
The shop that works on my car sent them out, will have to ask. Most important is to start with a good set of wheels that have not been bent or have lots of corrosion, from what I read. The Ferrari people have wheels of similar “elektron” alloy, any wheel refinisher needs to know these are a magnesium-containing alloy and assure you that the right process is used for best results. My opinion is that the transaxle cars are very sensitive to heavy wheels and tires, and I like the way 15” wheels look on these cars. Opinions vary 🙂. A1 look awesome on these as well, and the OZ. Go to Alfa9supply website for more cool wheel pics!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shop that works on my car sent them out, will have to ask. Most important is to start with a good set of wheels that have not been bent or have lots of corrosion, from what I read. The Ferrari people have wheels of similar “elektron” alloy, any wheel refinisher needs to know these are a magnesium-containing alloy and assure you that the right process is used for best results. My opinion is that the transaxle cars are very sensitive to heavy wheels and tires, and I like the way 15” wheels look on these cars. Opinions vary 🙂. A1 look awesome on these as well, and the OZ. Go to Alfa9supply website for more cool wheel pics!
Thanks for the tips. I love the look of the Campagnolos, and i think the silver looks especially good the way you had it done with a little extra sheen to it. The set that I have are not at all bent or rusted, so they would seem to be good candidates for refinishing in all silver.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I saw your car at Alfa Italia in Burbank a few weeks ago. Guess they got it all squared away! Angeles Crest would be a great place to enjoy a GTV6.

As Peter said the original wheels are Elektron alloy. If the original chromate treatment of the wheels is removed (ie media blasted), the alloy will corrode underneath the paint and if left unchecked the wheels will become junk.
The safest way to refinish those wheels is to clean them by hand as well as possible, scuff original finish, and repaint desired color.

SEM charcoal gray metallic is about perfect match for original centers btw.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw your car at Alfa Italia in Burbank a few weeks ago. Guess they got it all squared away! Angeles Crest would be a great place to enjoy a GTV6.

As Peter said the original wheels are Elektron alloy. If the original chromate treatment of the wheels is removed (ie media blasted), the alloy will corrode underneath the paint and if left unchecked the wheels will become junk.
The safest way to refinish those wheels is to clean them by hand as well as possible, scuff original finish, and repaint desired color.

Yes- that WAS my car! It needed new synchros and had an issue with the ignition coil, but Vittorio and Onofrio got me sorted. Those guys were great!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Since it seems like you're in the LA area, would you have any recs for SoCal wheel refinishing shops that would do it right?

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
...my '85 is red and those are the original wheels...
Just as a point of fact, it is not likely that those are the original wheels.

For two reasons:

1) Alfa switched from magnesium Campagnolos to identical looking aluminum Benzonis in the middle of the 1984 model year (to save money).
2) The gray center wheels only came with the 1982 Balacco special edition and with 1984 model year cars which had a gray painted contrasting lower valence.

For details see here:

Scroll down to section I.3.1. You will have to use google translate.

The Campys are more desirable since they are lighter than the Bezonis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well.
I just learned something! My wheels are definitely Campagnolos (it's stamped on each wheel). I'm the 4th owner, so perhaps someone switched the wheels along the way. That makes a lot of sense, because when I look up pics of 1985 cars, I can never find one with charcoal center wheels, and when I do find one, they have the charcoal lower valance. Also, I kind of thought the charcoal wheels looked weird without that dark lower valance. My car must have come with the Benzonis originally. So, I think the best thing to get to the original look of my car would be the Campys, but in the full silver. I wonder of it's safe to have my wheels refinished in all silver, or of it would be cheaper to just find a good condition set of originally silver Campys. Thanks for the info! That's some good car-cheology.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
My 84 has the grey lowers but came with silver wheels which I prefer. I'd actually prefer all red instead of grey lowers so I might repaint the bottom someday.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
The ‘85 most likely came with speedline TRX spec wheels. Beautiful but crappy tires NLA so your wheels likely come from an ‘82-‘84 car. Who knows what Alfa might throw out at any point in time, the later Alfa 75 (turbo special edition, forget the name) had the early campy style wheels!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts