Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an opportunity to buy a 1984 GTV6 2.5 that’s in pieces for kinda cheap. Missing seats and some trim bits. Probably other stuff too. Windscreen broken. Pretty solid car, maybe some rust on both front fenders below the a-pillar. Almost finished with a ‘79 Alfetta, so I know my way around the cars. My hesitation is in the available parts for these cars. Had some difficulty with Alfetta parts. Concerned I can’t even find a windscreen. I have not driven one yet. Buy or pass?

·
Administrator
17,144 Posts
I think it'd have to be cheap enough that you could also buy another car to scavenge for parts. If you were lucky and could find another one that was bad in the areas this one is good in and vice versa (and both were very cheap...).

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,631 Posts
Man, I were looking to end up with a driver I wouldn't take that car for free.

You know the first rule of old cars: buy the best one you can! This goes doubly for cars like the GTV-6 that are neither particularly valuable nor likely to become so.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I think it would depend on how likely you think most of the parts are there and how many pieces it is in. For example, is the motor in one piece? Do you know if it runs? Same for gearbox. etc. And how rust free is it really? That A-pillar rust generally runs pretty deep. Those would be some of the things I would be looking at.

As for finding parts, the glass is available from Prosource and the seats, if they are the older style Alfetta seats they will be easy enough to find and reasonable to recover. If they are the later Recaro style (which started sometime in 84, if memory serves) they will be harder to find and hella expensive to recover as they are a complicated sewing pattern.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
I would think the entire chassis would need to be rust free totally for this to be worth a case of beer. This is likely a BIG project, especially since you didn't dismantle it. When did the car drive last, on the road, in anger? Is the engine rusted inside, transmission, brakes? Not to say it isn't doable, and really, if you are like me you can justify anything pretty easily. Depends where the balance in your time/money equation is.....

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
377 Posts
Depends on your budget. Parts are above average and not that easy to find. In a perfect world you'd buy 2 of those to make one.
And in an even better world you'd get one good mechanically and one good in body.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If you decide the added cost and time are offset by the minimal cost of the car itself, and later decide that the results are looking grim... this one could end up being the parts car for another. If the initial price is low enough now, you may be able to sell it to recover your investment. I sold a rust free GTV6 shell to a friend in CT. He bought a really cheap beater just to acquaint himself with a car his Dad owned when he was little. Once he had answered that question for himself, he bought a second that looked decent at first blush. That one turned out to be not as nice as advertised, rust-wise, so not a proper basis to work from. Now he has my shell as his platform to build off, with two parts cars for bits. In retrospect, he's not upset with what it took to get him to obtain everything he needs to make one very nice one in the end... and plenty of parts left over to sell once he's finished. So... good news and bad news.

As you may have found out already, these cars can be worth more dead than alive as organ donors.

If it follows you home, I can help with many of the parts you may need. Some of that would depend on where you're located, as S&H on large bits can get the price up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sounds like the start of a race, rally, track day or whatever project

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you think it will be fun, because it will be hard to get your money back out of it unless you can make a good one out of two without having to buy parts. There is a package deal on two mostly complete GTV6 here in CALIFORNIA CL. Both for $3000, no takers for a long time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Andyvg Do you still have the gray gtv6.? I think that might have been owned by my brother 25 years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts