Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of rebuilding the brake master cylinder for my GTV6, but am having trouble actually getting the piston out. I removed the cir-clip, washer and seal, removed the reservoir and the little screw on top, but can't get the piston out. Behind the U-profile shaped seal there is this yellowish hard plastic washer that simply won't budge. This is the only thing, that I can see, that is still holding the piston in. Please see the pictures here:

MC_01.jpg

MC_02.jpg

How do I get this hard plastic washer out without breaking it? (there is no replacement one i the rebuild kit I received from Centerline)

I recently rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and had no problems removing the piston once I had removed the cir-clip. How come the brake master cylinder has this additional locking washer?

I was hoping to get this done today and I would appreciate any help any of you can give me.

Thanks in advance.
Igor

·
Registered
561 Posts
Using something soft that will not mark the aluminium piston, compress the spring pressure of the piston completely: Allow the piston to slip off the soft tool you are using, the piston will shoot out with some speed striking the back of this washer. repeat again and again and again until it either comes out or you give up.

At the very worst, use a pick to lever it out (against the cast iron cylinder, not the aluminium piston), then dress up any damage with a fine file. Nothing actually seals on this plastic part.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luke, thank you for your help. Unfortunately the plastic washer was stuck so tightly that even when I broke it into pieces I still had a hard time getting the piston out. After inspecting the the brake master cylinder I decided to simply get a new one from Centerline and a new reservoir as mine is full of crud.

Thank you thought for your help.

Cheers,
Igor

1 - 3 of 3 Posts