Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not quite a technical post, I wanted to post here because there are some details that could help the community down the road. And I also want to thank the many members who helped out with tips/advice/kind words.

Long story short, my car was in a fender bender last November. Damage didn't seem too bad, but the insurance company ended up wanting to total it. Luckily, I have classic car insurance with an agreed upon value, so they paid me the full amount, let me buy car back, and said they'd reinsure if I got it fixed.

Point 1: This has been discussed here before, but if you can get it, do yourself a favor and get classic car insurance now. It's cheap (less than $600 per year for mine), there's a mutually agreed upon value (mine's now at $25k), and there's NO deductible. If you have another daily driver, there's seemingly no reason you shouldn't get a classic policy. I use CHUBB, and they were fantastic throughout the process (despite totaling the car, but title is clean)

Point 2: user Racingswim2006 knew of my lust for Zender Milanos and turned me on to NTM Wheels, based in Italy. They make repros of those wheels and others that are better than the originals- they're light and a true 3-piece. I got a set for my car and they are fantastic. I've already recommended the company to 3 other people who like the Zender look, so hopefully this will come up in search results for the next Don Quijote searching for Zender Milanos.

thx to Dave & John for the front Euro-bumper help & sourcing, Peter for some random bits, and Rob for some bits and ample moral support throughout the process.

Here are some pics. Work was done by International Auto Repair in Huntington, NY. Highly recommended.

GTV6 back from the (near) dead / Classic car insurance / Zender Milano replicas

Attachments

·
Registered
928 Posts
Awesome! Glad to see you got it back together again!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Where did you actually get the NTM wheels? Their site doesn't have a purchase section. Also, the body work looks fantastic! Good thing you didn't let the insurance company total it for such minor damage (at least it looks minor). That would have been a shame.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for the info! I must say living in NYC, I do fear incidence like this (regardless of car I'm driving). Just the sheer number of incompetent drivers around here is astounding...

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
BK-- you are a brave soul indeed! Looks terrific! ENJOY.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always been of the mind that these cars were made to be driven, not to be preened over, so why not drive it here in the city? Definitely get lots of thumbs ups when I have it out. When my wife is driving it she gets even more. Not sure why...

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I've always been of the mind that these cars were made to be driven, not to be preened over, so why not drive it here in the city? Definitely get lots of thumbs ups when I have it out. When my wife is driving it she gets even more. Not sure why...
Really? She must have some real arms on her! Hats off to the lady. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Thanks for the info! I must say living in NYC, I do fear incidence like this (regardless of car I'm driving). Just the sheer number of incompetent drivers around here is astounding...
Just be thankful you're not driving it in the Boston area. Much worse than NYC, here they take pride in their incompetence!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts