Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all the Alfa experts out there.

I have a 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6 and I like the look of the two-piece Alfetta tail lights. Can anyone tell me if I get Alfetta tail light lenzes will they fit over the openings of the two slots?

Thank you in advance, I'll be sure to post pics as soon as my car is back from the paint shop.

Kind regards

·
Registered
`61 Giulietta Spider, `65 Giulia Ti 1750, `69 GT junior 1600, `73 Spider 2000, `74 GTV 2000, `98 156
1,875 Posts
Definitely can- it is same panel behind the large later lights as the original.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Mine needed a little trimming of the GTV6 plastic reflector to allow the screws fro the Alfetta lights to pass through. No big deal - could be done w/ a pocket knife.

Alfetta lenses are cheap since they are one part that didn't rust. I prefer the amber turn signal lenses (non-US). The also cam with and without "chrome" trim around the lense. I would prefer w/o since the GTV6 is so chrome free.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I agree with the above... the sheet metal under the larger GTV6 lenses contains the 4 slits, just waiting for an easy swap.

The only detail you may need to include (don't know 100% for sure), is that you may also need the tail light buckets from the Alfetta Coupe as well. Don't think the GTV6 buckets will work? Maybe someone above can verify this.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
GTV6 buckets work with minor trimming. You will need screws to hold the Alfetta lenses on, since they don't have integral studs. Recommend stainless. Re-use the odd plastic nuts that hold on the original GTV6 lenses

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Nice valence and elimination of the seam / lip at the bottom of the tail light panel. Now it just needs the right cut out for the exhaust. Something agressive, but in keeping with the car's style. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Side exhaust

Nice valence and elimination of the seam / lip at the bottom of the tail light panel. Now it just needs the right cut out for the exhaust. Something agressive, but in keeping with the car's style. :)
Ahhhhh yes, but, I am likely doing a side exit exhaust.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone come up with an LED (versus incandescent) solution that would raise the visibility from the rear - day and night? Im tired of watching the antics in my rear view mirror as the drives realize my brakes are "on." (Yes Ive checked that they all light correctly...)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sure LEDs could be done to match the styling but I'm sure that it would cost about $800ish, just my guess

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
you can find LED lights that fit in the housing. Thing is that Alfa housing is 'reflector' type while LED replacement bulbs look more directional.

2x 1157 24 LED Tail Turn Brake Bulb Light Car white 12v - eBay (item 150582163635 end time Mar-26-11 12:49:00 PDT)

I have switched the lenses on 2 GTV6's. Keep original reflector and use new Alfetta lenses (with a little trimming and several new screw holes) Don't overtighten. Don;t use silicone to seal the lenses. Get some window sealing foam from home supply store and trim to fit.

Here is a pic of new lenses and some quick rust repair to red alfetta, middle white one is my last GTV6 (sorry I sold it)
Bottom pic is my new white GTV6..not sure If I am staying with the lenses, but definite about eliminating the bumpers altogether..

Attachments

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It's my understanding that the GTV6 tail light assemblies have circuit boards that are a bear to repair. I certainly can't speak for Richard but my guess is that he might also have the Alfetta GT light assemblies. You'd then have the screw holes for the lenses. Though perhaps the GTV6 reflectors are perhaps more, umm, reflective.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Brake Lights

While I was messing around at the rear of my car putting on a new license plate sticker, I took some pictures of an LED center brake light that I built and added a few months ago. I had changed my turn signals and back up lights to LED bulbs, and wanted better brake light visibility.
Top is 4 LED in series strip to run off 12V.
Next 2 pictures are in shadow in daylight.
Last 2 pictures are at night.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
COOL! really see it when on, but not when off. One time I used a milano or 164 (can;t remember which) third light w/housing mounted to parcel shelf..

hey, can you post a few pics of your front and rear bumper mounts? I have the same bumpers but I have not welded up brackets yet..

are you interested in an Ohio Alfetta meet?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
tomhenneka, I've looked all over the place for really small, but bright 3rd lights. I also have the 'venetian blinds' - louvers - and would like to mount one under each side of the center post on the top louver. I have to agree that mounting higher is better. Not that I'm paranoid, but...I assume that every driver who comes up behind me when I'm stopped, is texting. Several quick pumps on the brake pedal should get their attention.

ALL 3rd brake lights that are available are way too hunky and don't need to be. If your 4 LED brake lights were made in a tight fitting, waterproof, and pro looking housing and angled just right, I'd buy two in a heartbeat.

I dare anyone to find small - as in tiny (say 1.5" x 1/4" to 3/8") - 3rd lights on the Internet. Since LED's put out little heat, a tight housing shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Biba, thanks for the opportunity to strut my GTV6 Taillight stuff.

I solved the circuit board issue by producing new and vastly improved replacements. While not inexpensive they really do knock it out of the ball park (IMHO of course....)

Check it out here. I'll offer a 15% discount for AlfaBB.com members on the first batch (6 sets left). Just mention BibaDidIt4Me!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Jef, not sure what any of my input was on your beautiful GTV6 reproduction circuit boards, but applaud you for going to the very detailed effort. I assume that those GTV6 owners that see this will snap them up. I'm in the thinking stage of switching websites' host and trying out a new website design program. I'd like to include these with my Cibie light section once I've made the switch (so to speak).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts