Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 GTV6 air conditioning has been at least partially removed for many years. The compressor and drier and most hoses are gone.

I would like to install, or preferably have installed, a modern system. Has someone done this? How did it work out. Any recommendations for complete systems or installers? Not much knowledge in this area, but I am sure there is on the BB.

Thanks in advance.

George

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Several paths you could take, most of which are documented in the archives here. After attempting the piecemeal retromod approach (original evap, new Sanden comp, new parallel flow condenser, etc), I'd fully endorse saving up some bucks and getting a complete, brand new, built to order Vintage Air (or similar) setup. You can still do the work yourself and save a lot of money, but trying to make old parts work with new just isn't worth the headache. Just get everything at once and do it right.

You should also plan to Dynamat your floors and tunnel, seal the firewall, and UV tint the windows. Otherwise the AC, even new and improved, still won't have a chance against the ambient heat in the cabin.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
No argument on chairmankga's recommendations.

Your other option (since your GTV6 is an '84) is to consider adding the later ALFA upgrades found on 1985-'86 models. Tropic-Aire. A box with an extra evaporator core and fan bolt under the glove box, replacing the shelf. A plastic plenum with accordion hoses connects the additional cold air to the two eye ball vents at the ends of the dash. Two plastic plugs cover the fresh air holes on the firewall, that fed the eye balls.

I have an extra set of those bits to sell. But you may want to ask a friend with an '85-'86 model if they consider that sufficient for your part of the country. Here in Vermont, we need A/C maybe two weeks in the summer, if t all. In Miami and Texas, that's a very different story.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
I got both original & a Vintage Air Setup. I must say whatever you decide the GTV-6 is a Hot House no matter what you decide. I having both systems, both with the original York compressors, the Vintage Air Wins! It certainly takes away from the original look, but I said this before the air control system in a GTV-6 is an after thought! It's a JOKE!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Vintage Air makes a system (MiniGen II?) that can be adapted to use all of the original, stock controls. It'll actually install inside the original evap shell. That's the route I wish I'd gone, honestly. I want to say it's about $450, not including compressor, hoses, etc. Expect to spend about $800-1,000 for a complete, ready to install system. Get a set of $50 manifold gauges and a $30 vacuum pump from Harbor Freight, refrigerant from eBay, study as many books and videos as you can find (and there are plenty), set aside a few weekends, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTV6 AC

Thanks for the advice. I will explore the Vintage Air system further as that seems more sensible than trying to replace a 30 year old system that no one was ever impressed by.

If anyone has done this themselves, I would love to make contact.

George

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
If you scan the AC section of the forum, there are several GTV6'ers who have successfully installed a Vintage Air system. Probably get some solid build out advice from them.

And for the record, I may very well shelve this project until I can save up for a MiniGen myself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here is an explanation of my A/C system. The original Tropic Air part of my A/C had been removed when I got the car. The console mounted unit was mangled! I've heard people had great success with modern aftermarket units, and had someone install a Vintage Air self-contained unit(Gen II Mini with ac/heat/defrost). It has servos instead of vacuum assist, modern evaporator design, stronger fans, better airflow...as it should! Three outlets at the top rear of the unit (driver/center/passenger vents). The blower motor extends about halfway along the firewall on the passenger side. I was going to modify an Alfa passenger tray to fit around it, but will instead have a carpet piece made to hide it.

The installer connected ducts from the top outer Vintage outlets to the original Alfa driver/passenger vents. Problem occurred with the center Alfa vents. The original Alfa unit had the outlets and "gerbil wheel" fans mounted in the front of the unit and directly behind the two front vents. The installer, in trying to keep the original look (as I requested), constructed a box (using the Alfa shell and casing) enclosing the Vintage top center outlet. Air blows directly into the box and out the front Alfa vents. However, the box never allows the airflow to fully escape through the Alfa vents (although it strongly swirls within the box!), and causes the coil to constantly freeze up. I've since been advised the installer should have 1) used a Y-splitter adapter duct on the top-center Vintage outlet (for the two front Alfa vents), 2) connected two S-shape adapters to the Y-splitter adapter to curve the airflow down and towards the cabin (Y-splitter adapter not only outlets towards the ceiling, but is on a higher horizontal plane then the Alfa front console vents), and 3) connected tube ducts directly to the original Alfa center console vents (with the appropriate ring adapter matching the duct size to the rear of the Alfa vents.) Alternately,they could have simply bent the ducts forward and downward

I think I have a good re-work planned. I have to admit the Vintage is powerful and cold like any modern a/c unit....when it does operate!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The original Tropic-Aire system had a very thin plastic fascia panel to hide the A/C box under the dash. As T-A was only available for less than 2 model years, decent ones are not easy to find.

I was contacted by an owner of an earlier model GTV6, that had the T-A box partially retrofit to his car as an upgrade by the PO. The shelf under the glove box had been whacked up to kinda fit around the T-A box. Nasty! He was hoping to replace the T-A box with a good shelf. He sent pix to show his mess. The T-A box was only connected to the car with the fluid hoses, and not screwed down. The plenum and accordion hoses were both missing. So, he was only cooling the back side of his dash, on the passenger's side.

Instead of selling him the shelf to replace the box, he decided to take advantage of the T-A upgrade. I sent him the plastic plenum that connects the T-A box to the two eye ball vents, and instructions on removing the fresh air ducts in favor of the blanking plates on the firewall. Plus, pix to show where to secure the T-A box and plenum.

He is a retired engineer, and I am a product designer... so we discussed some ways to create a new fascia panel. I got him a quote from a friend up the street who can do 3D laser scans and SLA models cheaply. So, at some point before long, I will drop off my T-A fascia plate to be scanned, and an SLA model will be generated from that file. From the SLA copy, he can make an easy female master mold. Then use that to knock out several new fascia panels using FRP, or thermoforming. As the original panel was very thin and fragile, he can make copies with thicker wall sections, in either method.

This may not happen until Spring. But, I'm sure he will be happy to sell those panels to help recover his initial expense and time. If any of you need one of those surplus panels, I can connect you with the source.

If anyone is considering the Tropic-Aire upgrade to an older model GTV6, I have a spare box (with fan and evaporator), and plenum with hoses.

Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Several people recommend getting a Vintage Air "kit", but V-A doesn't make a kit for the Alfetta. What gives? Can anyone who has installed a Vintage Air system tell me what they bought? I want to put in a nice looking and effective system. Thanks.

Mr. Goose (suffering in the south)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Several people recommend getting a Vintage Air "kit", but V-A doesn't make a kit for the Alfetta. What gives? Can anyone who has installed a Vintage Air system tell me what they bought? I want to put in a nice looking and effective system. Thanks.

Mr. Goose (suffering in the south)
If you were able to find out that the V-A setup is available for GTV6s, but not for Alfettas... do you know if that centers around the V6 vs inline 4 engine? Or perhaps the difference in the dashboard/console variances? Or both?

Without any actually experience with this particular question, it seems to me that Spider 4 cylinder engines had decent A/C systems, solving what happens under the hood. And a GTV6 A/C console should be able to be added below the similar Alfetta dash, without much if any dinking.

So, there could be a solution waiting out there, with a bit more research? Maybe someone has good input on that?

I have extra GTV6 consoles (with both heating and cooling radiators), if that helps in any way. Also, some Tropic-Aire components to supercharge the original GTV6 A/C system.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I think the Vintage Air Mini-Gen II is the evap unit that's been adapted most successfully. Allegedly it'll fit inside the stock center stack and the factory sliders can be adapted to manipulate the V-A unit's digital controls. I do think some custom brackets need to be fabricated but you could probably just bend some sheet metal in a vice grip to do the job.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
We looked at the Vintage Air MiniGen II unit also for Mike's GTV-6, but installed in the same space where the TA unit sits, on the passenger side. It will fit dimensionally, across that width of the dash. The air ducts to the eyeball vents and the two central outlets need to be connected to the MiniGen outlets. It has its own fan and temp control knobs, also.

After some thought, photos from Peter, and discussion, we decided to use the OEM Alfa stuff with a new parallel flow condenser from Vintage Air. All the stock components on the car work, we just have had to replace old leaking hoses, the receiver-drier, and a leaking OEM condenser. And being an '86, it has a perfectly good Sanden SD508 compressor also, that works.

Full report coming this week...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Uh, roger Houston... we have A/C! Looks like all components are working as designed with the Tropic Air unit in place, the Vintage Air parallel flow condenser (14" x 22") and the SD 508 Sanden compressor.

The biggest hurdle we had on this job was fixing the leaks. But hey-- just get the correct o-rings, break the fittings open, and replace them! And if the hoses prove to be bad, find a good industrial hose/fittings supplier and have them duplicate it for you. It is worth it, in my opinion though, to get a pro shop to do the evacuation, pump in the nitrogen to dry everything out, leak check and charge the system. I did not want to risk a good compressor by taking any shortcuts.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Speaking of o-rings, does anyone have a graphic or listing of all of the correct sized rings and where they go? I think part of my leak issue was using close to but not quite right sized o-rings.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts