Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked at threads about A pillar repairs but still can't work out exactly where all the metal work goes. Is there a blue print anywhere showing how the panels are constructed in this area?

The more I'm looking at this car the more I am tempted to bog it up and flip it. It would look real good bolted back together - most probably a $7500 car.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Hmmm - that's pretty gross looking. Fixable, sure, but how good are you with sheetmetal? A skilled metal former/welder has at least a day's work there. Resist the urge to butter over that and paint. Needs to be properly fixed to be safe. A pillar and sill rust there make the difference between a safe and unsafe car in a frontal collision.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Hmmm - that's pretty gross looking. Fixable, sure, but how good are you with sheetmetal? A skilled metal former/welder has at least a day's work there. Resist the urge to butter over that and paint. Needs to be properly fixed to be safe. A pillar and sill rust there make the difference between a safe and unsafe car in a frontal collision.
You surely mean a weeks work! Glass has to come out, door off, wipers out, etc.
Pete

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah thanks for the feedback, after seeing that rust I wouldn't drive this car fast. If I was a used car salesman I'd patch it up and sell it for $12,500 (revised higher after having a closer look at the brand new leather interior). But that's not going to happen. So I've got a car I can't sell and I'll have to spend a heap of $$$ fixing it. I don't think I could weld or fashion a whole new A pillar. Guess I should buy an inside and outside sill and start the process of collecting the required bits. Like these from Highwood Alfa.

8109 Outer sill (rocker panel) excellent quality 170.00
8111 Inner sill (rocker panel) - left or right 160.00
8103 Front wing (fender) rear lower repair panel (32cm/12.5” high) - 32.00

(I can strip everything, but it is still many $1000 to get that repaired).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That's better condition than mine was - and I repaired it. (OK - paid to have it repaired, but I had fixed that area several times before)

It's not hard to do, but does take time, a cut off wheel and a good welder.

The Highwood sills are excellent, lower fender patches are OK. I would fabricate the patch panels at the A-pillar from sheet steel. Really does not look that bad there. Probably need to fabricate some parts for the inner rocker and floor, but htose are straight forward.

No reason not to save the car if the rest is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts