Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the main differences were between the Euro 4 cylinder 116GTV and the Euro 6 cylinder 116 GTV. My reason is that I know where there is an absolutely mint 4 cylinder that I can buy and I just happen to have a rusty 3lt 75 QV to donate parts from.

My list so far:-
Engine - duh
Gearbox - ratios I would assume
Bonnet
Exhaust manifolds and system
4 stud hubs and wheels on the 4 vs 5 stud on the 6
Speedo - if I remember correctly the 6 went higher
Headlamp washers standard on the 6 but option (?) on the 4
Bigger radiator on the 6 with twin fans rather than a single
Battery in the engine bay on the 4 vs the boot on the 6

I guess I really need to know if the 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder shells are the same, and whether this crazy idea will work. The amount of work isn't a problem, but you have to see this GTV4 to believe the condition it is in :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
its the engine, stupid

sorry about that - paraphrasing Bill Clinton ... sorry about that too ! But seriously, the V6 is just a fabulous engine that makes the car sing and scream - it has been called one of the all time great motors, mini ferrari etc ... and the 3.0 litre is 'the engine fiat would have put in it if they hadn't stopped making the car because it was too expensive' ... go for it !! Not sure about the technical side of your transplant , others will no doubt chime in, but I drove a 3 litre GTV6 this weekend and it was s*x - you need to sort the brakes and suspension as well.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Well, at the risk of sounding like a preservationist wanker (which, actually I'm much more into modifications than leaving things stock;)) - but, if this 4 cyl car is so mint, you really should leave it as such. There are so few nice Alfettas around in N. America. If you are planning to transplant an engine from the get go - you should be be able to locate a good, non-running GTV-6 or Alfetta shell to drop it into. :confused:
It just seems a shame to molest a nice clean Alfetta...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, the car is in the UK, as is my 3lt 75 QV. I also have a Twinspark 75 Veloce which I am going to use as everyday transport when I return to the UK shortly. I had a GTV6 a few years back and I have always wanted another one.

As I have a 3lt engine lying around, along with a couple of LSD gearboxes, one 3lt and the other a 2lt, plus all the 5 stud running gear, etc. I thought it would be good fun to do this.

The nice thing about the GTV4 is that it has been completely restored, and all the plastic bits are mint, and the shell is perfect, as is the interior. So I am starting with a really good car, which I likely will drive as is until all the 75 bits are restored and ready to drop in.

I am the official Northern Ireland director for Scuderia Non Originale, so originality for me means nothing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You sound like you have most of the oily bits you need.

Bits for transplant:
engine
gearbox - pref TS as it has good ratios and LSD - and clutch and drive shafts
brakes and hubs - five stud

Difficult bits:
speedo conversion
engine mounts
propshaft (V6 has bigger donuts - believe you can you 2.0L ones though - suck and see?)
radiator - if a late GTV, will be the same.
fuel tank - GTV6 has big tank behind seats, 4 has small tank under floor (which is more important, boot space or range?)
battery to boot (unless it is late or AC fitted, in which case it will be there already)
EFI bits (4 cyl is carbs and won;t have all the electronic bits, incl fuel pump)
V6 interior - nicer trim and seats (unless it is a late model, which is the same)

All in all, prob easier to buy a 2.5 V6 and put the 3.0L in it rather than convert (unless the car was already owned or virtually free).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts