Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a few years and I now have opportunity to finish off the GTV2000 resto.
You will see I am installing a new wiring loom and have decided that I really do need a decent schematic.

I did label a few connections on the old loom when I took it out but these have either faded or fallen off!!
It is a 1972 RHD model and if anyone could help, I would be most appreciative.
Also, if anyone could point me in the right direction for photos of the loom install/location that would help as well.

Matt

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Hi Matt,

I think the RHD is just mirror loom of the LHD 2000 GTV. So nothing complicated.

If you have an electrical diagram of a LHD, you can use it.

From what I sse, you have new wires and old wires. What do you want to know exactly ? Places for the new wires, for the old ones ??

If you are working on the loom outside the car, presenting the loom on the floor in the position it will hav in the car. You will find then some answers.
Let us know.

Chris

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, that is what I am doing at the moment. I have the fusebox by the wing and this has been my starting point.
It has taken me a long time to fathom some things out.
I'd like to know things like:
  1. The route of the rear loom section - ie does it go along the floor then up into behind the b-post, over the rear arch and into the boot?
  2. Why does the new loom have a 8 way block (7 wires) connector as opposed to my 6 way connector for the centre console?
  3. Battery cable to starter - routed along 'brace' under the engine?
  4. etc etc
I'm getting there but it takes me time - it doesnt help that one colour wiring diagram I have from the net is wrong and another has colour that don't match the loom colours.
In addition. the old look is knackered and has been bu**ered about with! :)

Wipers now working but on all the time! And indicators (one trial) work but bypasses the ignition switch. I'm off to have a play now....

Matt

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Matt,

1°) Route correct, from fuse boxe go down the A pillar, pressed against inner rocker and floor and then as you describe.

2°) Maybe is because your wiper switch is different ? 3 / 5 or 7 pins used at the rear side ?

3°) Correct, at the back side of the 'brace'.

4°) etc, etc, ask, if you need answers

For the wipers, see this thread maybe it helps.

Indicators, I don't remember if they are working with the ignition switch off ?
Lights are working with ignition switch off.

Chris

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, Thank you for the replies.
I have has a sucessful afternoon on the wiring and now have the wipers working (PO made a hash of previous wiring and it was all wrong) including parking (think the footswitch contacts are faulty), the indicators, and lights. So I am getting there. :D
I need to get the power / alternator wired correctly but at least I can progress. (Most electrics work with the IGN switch off!)
The car has AirCon and the battery cable ran from the boot but with new battery technology, I can fit it under the bonnet.
I had seen that article on the wipers and with a little more information and the secret of linking connectors 3 & 7 on the switch, parking then worked.

There is a red cable that is in line with the wiper 4 way connector - any idea what that is for?

Matt

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Matt,

I'm happy for you.

I don't know the AirCon connections, because I never worked on a car with AirCon.

I will give you how to connect the alternator Monday.

The red cable from the wiper switch (or connector) it's surely a "permanent +" for another device : cigaret lighter or heater switch. Check this way.
Let me know.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The red wire is from the loom and separate to the wiper connector block but in the same sheath. I think you could be right and it maybe for the cigarette lighter but I'm surprised that is not bundled with the console connector (the one for the wiper switch).
I'm going to fit a Nippon Denso alternator, so the connections maybe a little different...
Rgds, Matt

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The red wire is a "wild old owner" repair...

The alternator is fitted with 5 wires, 3 to the relay and 1 to the battery and 1 to the light at dashboard.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts