Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1982 gtv2.0 with 15x 6.5 stock wheels (same as gtv6 but with 4 bolts). I know from the owner`s manual that the car came with 195-65-R15 tyres. The car came with 195-60s Bridgestones at the front which have very little tread and with 205-60s Goodyear NCT3 which are almost new, the problem is that these tyres are not produces anymore and I want the four tyres to have the same tread pattern.
I was going to buy tyres later, probably 205-60 Dunlops (LM702) but I`ve been offered a set of used (very little) 205-55 Bridgestone Potenza GIII. I have several questions.
Will these tyres fir without any clearance problems at the front?
Is the road feel goimg to increase?
Do you think that the height of the tyre would affect the diff ratio too much?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I believe they will rub a little on the inner wheel wells when turning full lock. You'd need 205/50 size in order to avoid that.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Standard size is 15x6 with 195/60 15. This has an overall diameter of 615mm, so to keep the gearing the same you want to aim for as close to that as possible.

205/55 15 measure up at about 606.5, which is pretty close and gives you a bit more margin for the slightly wider tread width not to foul on the body. I ran these on my GTV6 years ago and they were OK - although sfalfa is correct re inner guard risk and that depends on how big the tyre is (not all the same sidewall and section shape). That size fits nicely on a 6 inch rim too.

205/50 is only 586mm and is probably too small from a gearing, ground clearance and aesthetic perspective (although a lot of people do fit this size). Getting the right load rating is this size could be hard (mostly for smaller/lighter cars).

205/60 measures at 627 mm and I doubt they will fit at the front (back will be fine, but your speedo will be out)

195/65 at 634mm is also way too big and may not even fit at the back (maybe check your manual again?).

These cars really appreciate good quality tyres, so try and get the best you can, even if it means getting a quality 195/60 rather than a discount 205/55. You will appreciate it in the long run.

·
Registered
131 Posts
On my GTV6 w 15x6.5 wheels, I have run: 195/60/15 205/55/15 and 205/50/15
I have not had any clearance issues w any of these sizes. 205/50 will
be off by ~4%. But you will get more low down torque. think BMX tires. ;)

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replys. Indeed I checked the manual and confused in the post the Standard size is 15x6 with 195/60 15 (it was an option for the gtv2.0). But I would like to re-check the wheel width since I don´t have the car right now.
Strangely the speedo works with the 205 60s, but the odometer doesn´t.
Indeed the car will need very good tyres, I was planning to buy the Dunlops (LM702 or try the SP SPort 9000) in the original size or in 205. Seems that they will last long and as I don`t use the car much, they could be a good choice.
On the othe hand I still have to see the tyres I´ve been offered, how much would they want and if I see that they are in good shape and that they will fit I will grab them. Seems a good choice to me here is the tyre:

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/treads/giii.asp

Thanks again.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I can't remember the exact dimensions, but my GTV 2.0 came with slightly wider tyres than the manual specified - and steering was a PIG. Turning the wheel was like wrestling a python, and the car tramlined quite noticeably as soon as there was any kind of rut in the road. When I bought new tyres I went with the manual specs and the steering lightened up hugely. I haven't noticed a loss of grip either.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I can't remember the exact dimensions, but my GTV 2.0 came with slightly wider tyres than the manual specified - and steering was a PIG. When I bought new tyres I went with the manual specs and the steering lightened up hugely.

I've found that tire age is the usual cause of the symptoms you describe far more than any size or brand issues. Old hard hockey pucks just seem to exhibit awful behavior no matter how much tread is on the suckers.

My old GTV6 could hardly be steered on the rock hard tires on it when I bought it, which was okay, since I got it really cheap as a result of many previous potential buyers thinking it was just shot.

I've also heard from experts in local tire stores claim otherwise, so draw your own conclusions after personal experience and perhaps don't believe that local tire salesman wanting to sell you new tires made in 2004.

Richard

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I`ve still have my old tyres on the car since the guy who was going to sell me the tyres, decided not to. I will tell you finally what I bought

1 - 8 of 8 Posts