Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn signals on my 1974 GTV work properly but at high speed. Any suggestions other than replacing the "clicker" unit down by the pedals? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Electrical

Hi Bruno,

I'm no expert or auto electrician but i have a bit of an idea about the electrics on these cars.
You say the turn signals work properly at high speeds. So what happens if you use the turn signals at idle ? Do they work at all or just slower ?
Several years ago i replaced the electronic flasher unit on my car (83 Alfetta GTV 2.0), and once i got over the initial cost i never looked back. The indicators now work soo much better/quicker than the stock flasher unit.
If you decide to buy a new one just make sure it has the correct number of pins etc so you don't need to re-wire the indicators etc.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The turn signals on my 1974 GTV work properly but at high speed. Any suggestions other than replacing the "clicker" unit down by the pedals? Any help is appreciated.
Do mean they blink at high speed or they only work when the car is travelling at speed? Or something else?

·
Super Moderator
10,367 Posts
Do mean they blink at high speed or they only work when the car is travelling at speed?
Yea, I was puzzled by Bruno's problem statement too. But I am confident he means that they blink too fast (a common problem) - not that they only work above 85 mph (which would be pretty amazing).

Most likely, there is nothing wrong with the flasher. Replacing it with a new, mechanical flasher is unlikely to fix anything (*). Fast or slow flashing is usually the result of a burned out bulb, corroded socket, bad ground or some other condition that has changed the resistance of the flasher circuit. Do both the L and R sides flash equally slowly? Have you walked around the car while the turn signals are on, and observed that each bulb is working and glowing equally brightly?

*) As RobGTV wrote, an electronic flasher will solve a lot of problems. These flash at the same rate, irrespective of current draw. They work the same way when bulbs are burned out, incorrect bulbs are installed, LED's are substituted, etc. So replacing the old-style mechanical flasher with an electronic unit may well solve Bruno's problem.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yea, I was puzzled by Bruno's problem statement too. But I am confident he means that they blink too fast (a common problem) - not that they only work above 85 mph (which would be pretty amazing).

Most likely, there is nothing wrong with the flasher. Replacing it with a new, mechanical flasher is unlikely to fix anything (*). Fast or slow flashing is usually the result of a burned out bulb, corroded socket, bad ground or some other condition that has changed the resistance of the flasher circuit. Do both the L and R sides flash equally slowly? Have you walked around the car while the turn signals are on, and observed that each bulb is working and glowing equally brightly?

*) As RobGTV wrote, an electronic flasher will solve a lot of problems. These flash at the same rate, irrespective of current draw. They work the same way when bulbs are burned out, incorrect bulbs are installed, LED's are substituted, etc. So replacing the old-style mechanical flasher with an electronic unit may well solve Bruno's problem.
Agreed. Just wanted to be sure :).

Part of me says the old flashers are a good thing in these cars though because otherwise there is not much to let you know when a bulb goes. Unlike a modern car where the CAN bus or similar generally tells you which bulb has died.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have this same problem! All of my turn indicators work (I have cleaned the grounds/bulbs/terminals), but BOTH directions flash at too high of a rate. The one thing that I have not cleaned is the flasher unit itself, where do I find that?

Also, if I activate the emergency flasher, should I see the same effect?

Lots of questions but I was glad to see that someone else was asking the questions as well

Best
'
Andy

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
Could be wrong wattage bulbs, but I'd guess a bad flasher unit. The old style ones just use a bimetallic strip, I think, and they can get tired.

A modern electronic flasher should drop right in and solve many woes. I don't remember which one I got, but I think the GTV takes a three-wire one (+, load, and indicator light.) Don't quote me on that.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
Actually if I check my Amazon history I think this is the one I got for the '74. Red wire goes to B, Black & black/white wires go to L, black/blue wire goes to E. I'll double-check on the car tonight.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,205 Posts
Nope, I lied, that's not what I have in the GTV. Looks like I just grabbed an electronic one from the local auto parts store. So I don't know the exact model, sorry.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi Everyone (and especially Gubi), that is good information! Thanks! I think my next forum post/search will just be for what type of flasher unit for GTV's use. Should be easy enough!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts