Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1974 GTV. Built 9/1974
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

It seems that most of the threads here with questions about trunk latches are how to open them when the cable breaks. I have the opposite problem, not closing.

I had the capture finger on the latch of my '74 GTV finally fatigue and break off. I guess after more than 40 years and 560,000 miles it's entitled! I removed the mechanism to examine it and saw that it consists of six such fingers. It appears as if I can just rotate it to a new one and be good for another couple decades. I tried that, but it still won't capture.

Thinking the gasket might be interfering I removed it and even added an extra washer behind each screw of the "hook" on the lid to lower it a little more. That got it to capture, but I needed an assistant to open it again since the gasket acts as the spring and without it, there's no "pop" when pulling the lever.

After re-installing the gasket, it no longer captures. I could add more washers under the hook, but it already seems to be spaced out a ridiculous amount (about 1/2"). I thought before trying anything else I should ask here if I'm missing something about adjusting the catch. Is it possible those different fingers are slightly different, and need to be dialed to the "correct" one to work right?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

- Jack

·
Premium Member
22,153 Posts
I had to do the same thing on a friend's GTV, which had been rear-ended long ago, and nothing lined up. A stack of washers under the latch on the lid let them meet up. I spent a lot time dummying it up, and I still don't understand why it needed to be so stand-offy, but that's the only way it would latch. Angle seems important too, that the "flat" bottom part of the L matches the opening in the teeth of teh star. I spent a ton of time, still wasn't very happy, but at least it worked. You might try with the trunk seal removed, see how it fits with just the body pieces?

Andrew

·
Registered
1974 GTV. Built 9/1974
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might try with the trunk seal removed, see how it fits with just the body pieces?
Andrew
Thanks Andrew. I tried your suggestion and it did work without the gasket, but I couldn't stack enough washers to make it work with the gasket back on (ran out of screw). One of our ARA Tech gurus has told me that one fix is to replace the Alfa gasket with an MGB gasket. It's a shorter cross section and lets the lid come down further before starting to compress.

At least the car is drivable now. There's some exhaust smell if the windows are open, but as long as I keep the windows closed and the dash vents open (i.e. the cabin slightly pressurized) it doesn't come in.

Thanks for the reply!

- Jack

·
Registered
964 Posts
Classic Alfa has a low profile gasket but the trunk never fits completely flat. I had the same problem. The GTV is notorious for this problem

·
Registered
1974 GTV. Built 9/1974
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Classic Alfa has a low profile gasket but the trunk never fits completely flat. I had the same problem. The GTV is notorious for this problem
Yup. I guess I've just lucked out for all these years. I did actually replace the gasket when the car was painted ~1985, but that's more than 30 years ago. The trunk lid has sat proud of the surrounding body ever since. The gasket is, remarkably, still in good shape, but I'd like to get it back down.

When I figure it out, I'll post the solution here.

- Jack

·
Registered
410 Posts
Jack, can you post pictures of both the top hook the way you have it set up as well, as the receiver, preferably looking back at the receiver from inside the trunk. This way we can see how they sit relative to the parts they are attached to. Maybe there is something obvious that isn't identified in the description above. Pictures are so much better than words in most cases.

My top hook also has a number of washers under it and the receiver sits high in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts