Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning Alfa peeps!
I've been experiencing some driveshaft scraping & binding (mostly on rapid deceleration) so I checked underneath the car to find the issue is not the driveshaft at all (it's been recently rebuilt) but the transmission bushing/mount. The transmission is moving around to the point that the front prop shaft is scraping on the underside of the tunnel & causing it to bind. I have a new transmission bushing/mount ordered & will install it this weekend.
The reason for my post is this: I was looking at pics of GTV transmission mounts on line & noticed that some GTVs have another transmission mount in the form of a two piece bracket, secured to the underside of the frame, below the transmission. Pee the attached pic.
Is this needed? If so, where can I purchase one?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,074 Posts
The two piece bracket is to support the exhaust.

There are two varieties of transmission bushing. They are the same size and the earlier ones are stiffer and are sometimes marketed as "heavy duty". Be aware that the quality control of currently available bushings is not as good as OEM and some people (me included) have ended up with cracked housings due to oversize bushings.
Proceed with caution.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Good morning Alfa peeps!
I've been experiencing some driveshaft scraping & binding (mostly on rapid deceleration) so I checked underneath the car to find the issue is not the driveshaft at all (it's been recently rebuilt) but the transmission bushing/mount. The transmission is moving around to the point that the front prop shaft is scraping on the underside of the tunnel & causing it to bind. I have a new transmission bushing/mount ordered & will install it this weekend.
The reason for my post is this: I was looking at pics of GTV transmission mounts on line & noticed that some GTVs have another transmission mount in the form of a two piece bracket, secured to the underside of the frame, below the transmission. See the attached pic.
The 2 piece bracket is attached to 3 bolts on the bottom back of the trans and the second piece is attached to the first via 2 rubber bushings, as mentioned, that are often found degraded for engine oil or??. You can see in the picture how it is attached to the exhaust. How is you exhaust hung at the position. The picture shows the stock set up.

I may have a pair available.

Regards

Ken

·
9,937 Posts
The 2 piece bracket is attached to 3 bolts on the bottom back of the trans and the second piece is attached to the first via 2 rubber bushings
Is it possible that a missing transmission-exhaust bracket could allow the driveshaft to interfere with the exhaust pipe? I know Electric Lloyd's transmission bushing is shot, but might this be adding to his problem?

Electric Lloyd: What sort of a front exhaust system do you have? The stock transmission-exhaust bracket that kengta describes doesn't fit (without modification) with some headers; is that why your's is missing?

Electric Lloyd said:
Well, the engineers at Alfa thought it was needed and I've learned to respect those guys' judgement. All 105 and early 115 series Alfas used these brackets; placing a post in the "Parts Wanted" section of the BB should turn up some examples.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2 piece bracket is attached to 3 bolts on the bottom back of the trans and the second piece is attached to the first via 2 rubber bushings, as mentioned, that are often found degraded for engine oil or??. You can see in the picture how it is attached to the exhaust. How is you exhaust hung at the position. The picture shows the stock set up.

I may have a pair available.

Regards

Ken
Thank you, Ken!
Yes, I would like to purchase a set from you if you have a set to spare. I need to fix this before it turns into a bigger problem!
Right now my exhaust is pretty much a stock system & is not supported at this juncture at all right now! Not good! That's a lot of weight hanging from the manifolds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts