Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy new tires for my GTV. I want to keep the stock steel rims, but I want to go with a wider and possibly lower profile tire. Does anyone have any good tire size and brand recommendations?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
If I can recall the stock wheel size is 165/60-14, am i correct? Wider and Lower eh. I don't know what the widest tire you can throw on a 14x6 rim is. I'd say max 195. I also think it'd be hard to find a 60 or lower profile tire for a 14 inch rim.

The best thing to do is go browse Tirerack and see what they have in store for you. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/SearchTires.jsp

Hopefully some BB heads can provide some info. I more familiar with the 7 inch rims.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
TIRES

since it is a 67, it should have 15" stock. 14" started in 1969 with the 1750 models.

a good tire size whould be 195/60. if you go with a 205, it would not look right because the rim is narrow and you would have a lotof tire hanging over. check and see if yokohama makes an avs intermediate in that size, they are nice performance tires. only problem i have with them is that they wear fast (at least mine do). you can also go with a nice pirelli p4000 or p600. got a set of those on my 164 and i'm very happy with them. all the tires i mentioned about should be under $100 mounted and balanced.
anthony

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
AVS Yoko's

I'm running AVS's right now, you can't go wrong with this tire. Oh and there 43 bucks at TireRack, because their discontinued. Buy a extra tire, just in case one pops (I need to buy an extra tire).

Highs: Supper Grippy (160 treadwear), good speed rating (v), very quiet even on corners.

Lows: Wear out quick 20,000 miles (what do you expect with a 160 treadwear tire). Become gushy at times (or its my rookie driving).

·
Supporting Vendor
4,423 Posts
I second the recommendation for the Yoko AVSi - if you can find them. I got one of the last sets (for a spare) in the US in 205/60-14 for my GTV. These seem to work best on my 6" wide Panasports.

I have tried running 195/60-14 and they just didn't work - too short a sidewall, the car was a bit too low. If you want to go with a 195 I would consider a 195/65-14.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Id reconmend Kumho ECSTA 716 HP4, there a pretty good high performance all season tire and they do make it in a P175/65R14, youd probably get a little distortion with running a taller sidewall tire but I wouldent think its a big deal. Bad part is about keeping your stock 14" rim, its hard to come across ultra high performance tires, they usually start off applications for a 15" rim and up. Maybe something you'd want to consider running 15" rims's if you want something with more of an aggressive tread.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anthony's right

My '67 has 15x6 steel rims. Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been perusing Tirerack.com. My last comparison narrowed down to Pirelli and Yokohama. I am leaning towards 60's to have stiffer sidewalls to improve handling, and lower the center of gravity. I may be way off though. Perhaps I should be more concerned with my speedometer's accuracy. I still haven't learned my kilometers to miles conversions. All I know is that 100 kph equals 62 mph.

Any suggestions on tire dealers?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Kai, I recommend the Yokohama AVS in 195/60 - 15, tire rack was selling one tire for 43 dollars. Thats a freakin steal!!!
Check local tire shops they might be selling the AVS for the same price.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Er . .

I was mistaken on my rim size. They're actually 15x4-1/2 Fergat rims. I fergat how skinny they are! This changes everything in my search for good tires.

Thanks Sniady, but the treadwear rating is only 160. I can't afford to buy tires _that_ often.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Im wondering, do you have enough room to fit a 15 x 5 1/2 rim with a 60 sidewall w/o it rubbing when the wheel is turned all the way?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
He should. I'm riding 205/60 - 15 (15x7). I had rubbing issues, but I fixed them.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rubbing issues

Sniady said:
He should. I'm riding 205/60 - 15 (15x7). I had rubbing issues, but I fixed them.
What did you do to take care of these issues? I saw the pic of your fender! heh heh

I have been wondering about my rim size. I posted their size as 15x4-1/2 because that's what a friend told me. For the width, do you measure the inside or the overall width? Mine are 4-1/2" on the inside and 5-1/2" wide overall. Either way, they're too skinny.

I was offered a set of 14x6 steel rims. They'd need to be cleaned and painted but otherwise are in good shape. Any ideas what they're worth?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Re: Rubbing issues

67GTV said:
What did you do to take care of these issues? I saw the pic of your fender! heh heh

I was offered a set of 14x6 steel rims. They'd need to be cleaned and painted but otherwise are in good shape. Any ideas what they're worth?
Lip in the inner fender lip. Hammer time, bang, bang, bang. There's other ways of doing it, but I used a hammer.

Which steel wheels?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Rubbing issues

Sniady said:
Which steel wheels?
I guess that would've helped, huh? They're Alfa steel wheels, 14x6. These would assist in my quest for wider tires. Any suggestions what they're worth?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
5 bucks!

I had a set of those rims I could've given to you, but there on a trash field by now. I don't have room for storing stuff, so i threw them away.

I've learned my lesson, never throw alfa stuff away.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well after all this time I finally purchased new tires for my GTV. I wanted to get a set of Yokohama AVS ES100's but they cost more and the treadwear is only rated at 280.

I settled on shopping at America's Tire Co. since I could have everything done locally. Plus they offer free lifetime balancing and rotation. I can even bring in our Accord for free rotation.

Since I could not spend the money on powder coating the rims I bought off Anthony, I had to stick with my stock 15x4.5" steel rims.

I went from the original Michelin XZX 165SR15's, to Phantom Warrior (made by Michelin) 195/60R15. I went in to purchase a set of Yokohama Avid H4's but the guy recommended these Warriors as having better grip, plus they were about 100bux cheaper overall. He said the only complaint he's heard about them is that they're noisier than the Yokies. Since my GTV is already noisy, what with the engine and exhaust, I can't hear the tires at all.

I am extremely happy with these cheapie tires (300 bones out the door)! They have transformed my GTV from a wiggly unstable car to a road gripping beast. Since she's already equipped with Koni's, she handles great. All I need is to replace the missing sway bar end link bushings and the handling will be set.

Thanks to everyone for all the input!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Btw, I think these new tires only lowered the car by 0.2". I'd like to go with shorter springs some day.

Here's a picture of my sway bar end links. Notice anything missing? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Im running 225/65/14 on the stock 14x6 wheels. They are Hoosiers and very nice for the streets but when I get the motor setup for Autox I will most likely pciking up a set of Falken Azenis or if I go serious a really stiky Hoosier autox tire.

·
Registered
168 Posts
It would be cool if GTV owners posted pics/views of their tires/wheels listing the wheel and tire sizes...i've been reading the various tire threads on the BB which have been helpful but confusing as I can't picture these tire/wheel combos in my head on a GTV! :)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,423 Posts
OK, here is my GTV with 14x6 Panasports and 205/60-14 Yokohama AVSi tires.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts