Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1974 gtv last year, I have been doing work on it here and there to get it road worthy.(it sat in a garage for over 20yrs) I plan on using the car as a weekend cruiser, I want the front end to sit lower,it has that higher in the front stance, and it is in need of shocks and bushings.I not only want it to be safe but I want it to feel solid too.
I have been budgeting myself on this car so I would not be apposed to used springs and shocks.
What exactly should I replace?
Where should I buy?

Andrew

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are two cheap ways to lower the front of your GTV.
1) the spring pans, left and right are of different depths.
2) the aluminum spacers under the springs come in at least three thicknesses.
Removing the front springs is a dangerous chore without the factory tool, but I did it for many years, replacing the 4 pan bolts, one at a time with threaded rods 7" long and two nuts on each.
I'm being deliberately vague.......
Anyhow, you can leave out the spacers and/or get another deep pan (your car has one of each) and your car will be about a half inch lower in the front.
Good luck,

Hans

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
I'd just put new shocks in first and then see how it looks. Maybe the old shocks are "frozen." These cars originally did have that high front stance to conform to :rolleyes: bumper height regulations at that time - that is how they looked back in the day. They also "looked" higher because of the gap between the wheel well and the tire cause they used skinny tires. What size tires are on the car now. You'll need new tires too if they are older than 7 years old no matter how they look - even if they have a lot of tread.

·
Registered
157 Posts
While my car has been sitting in the garage, I have spent many an hour sitting there trying to figure out what direction I wanted to go. I am 23, so admittedly I drive like an idiot, and unfortunately (or fortunately) there are lots of twisty roads around here to have fun on.

There is NO substitute for good handling in a car, and you will get more enjoyment out of good suspension than any other modifications to your vehicle.

The car came with Centerline Performance Springs (I think), that were about an inch (?) lower than stock. The PO had removed the front spacers to get the "nose down" look you are going for. Let me tell you, this was the most nerve racking part of the car. The oil pan is the lowest point on the vehicle, and in my cars case, it was just a matter of inches off the ground...not particularly confidence inspiring.

As for suspension modifications, I decided to go with the springs that were on it, Koni Yellows, and new bushings EVERYWHERE. I may/may not look into some new sway bars as well. I had looked at coil overs or something similarly drastic, but I realized that I bought an Alfa so that I would have an Alfa, not something that handles like a newer car (I would have gotten a 3-series BMW like all my friends if I wanted that). There is something magical about the way an Alfa handles, and I really want to try to keep that feeling.

You aren't going to get too much love from people on here when you are trying to go for a "look," but I can promise you, once you get your Alfa finished you will be getting all the looks and thumbs up that you need.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Red Alfa - just noticed that you're new to this boardwhatever which explains why you hope to get suggestions from those who know what to do. Good luck.
Those who know get shouted down by those who don't know Jack S.
For instance " frozen shocks"? There's no such thing. Maybe one gets stuck after 20 years, but if you sit on that fender just once it will give, but it will still be nfg.
Works for me - 6'2"/230lbs, but if one is a lightweight, one wud need help.
And shocks do not raise or lower your suspension unless they're coil-overs.

Cavalry(sp?) - good info, but please don't use the phrase 'drive like an idiot' unless you are certified. You probably drive with verve, as in 'con gusto' or con brio', or in legal terms, wreckless or careless which is more expensive than speeding, but way more fun than driving 'normal'. BTW, wreckless is demoted to reckless after your first 'accident' if your ins. co. finds out...

The most effective way to improve your cars handling is to take a serious driving course.
Many Alfa clubs offer courses to raise your skill level appreciably. And it's the most fun you can have with your pants on.
I don't race(legally) - but I have fun in out-of-way parking lots doing donuts and on country roads, etc. Don't take any passengers unless they know....

My front suspension (73GTV) is stock except for lowering to a Euro stance which is level, and yellow Koni's. I took out the spacers, installed shallower spring pans and an Alfa V6.
The rear suspension is stock except for the Panhard rod I installed after Wes Ingram allowed me under his racer, a mean old GTV with a TS engine and every trick imaginable. And a thicker rear swaybar.

Wes was just being nice, letting me in his shop while the racecar was up in the air, but I stole some of his ideas anyway.
Good luck,

Hans

·
Registered
157 Posts
CAVILRY, is my license plate. It was from my first car (a Mustang GT). Mustang...cavalry...get it? Haha. Okay, it was funny at the time.

Just kind of had to stick with it after that, when it turned out I was the cavalry more than the car (think constant Designated Driver). And yes, I would have preferred CAVALRY, but it was taken :(

Back to the topic at hand, you really are not going to find a clear and concise answer here. A car is such a personal thing, it reflects its driver and their desires for their car.

You really need to figure out what YOU want to do. Once you do, start fishing around for Alfisti who may have already done similar to what you want, that is when you can start getting some really useful advise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
/Volumes/NO NAME/DCIM/236CANON/IMG_3601.JPG

I guess what i should say is i think that the front sits too high, and if there are people out there that have lowered it to sit level, are they pleased with what they did. I am not looking for a low rider or to drive reckless.
Also looking for the best place to buy shocks, bushings, springs etc.

Thanks for the info so far, keep it coming.

Andrew

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am very likely wrong, but that looks a lot taller than normal? Again, I could be wrong.

Like I said, by removing the spacers it looks good, but be prepared to crawl under your car and check your oil pan after every speed bump (or maybe that is just me).

·
Super Moderator
11,522 Posts
Andrew:

Holy smoke, the front end of your GTV is sitting really high! If the springs feel too stiff, as well make the car ride too high, then I'm going to guess that some PO installed "performance" springs. These are advertised to be stiffer, and result in a lower ride height - but, from my experience, they're just so *&%$#@ stiff that the car ends up riding higher.

You might just try a set of stock springs. And yes, experimenting with different springs is tedious. Lots has been written on the BB about removing/replacing springs and adjusting ride height. Use the "search" function on the suspension section.

Best place to buy parts? From the people that advertise on the BB: Centerline, International Auto, Alfa Parts, Vick.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I see a couple of different things being said here. The "classic stance" - my phrase - as seen, for example, on real GTAs in period photos, was nose up a bit, such that the rocker panel was not parallel to the ground, but higher at the front. I gather that the engineers at the time (Autodelta et al) knew what they were doing and that set-up was the best available. The car belonging to our new friend who started this thread does indeed sit very high up front, but I imagine we'd all agree that is not because he has a trick Autodelta suspension tune. Either it has the wrong springs up front or maybe the rears are broken (happened to me) or it has lower replacement springs in the rear exacerbating the already high nose position resulting from the tall, original front factory springs. Either way, I don't see that this car will yield a particularly enjoyable driving experience as long as it sits like that. I imagine we would all agree that to have a sweet handling GTV (or other Alfa), you need to make sure the whole suspension (and steering) system is in good shape, especially on a car which sat forever and/or has an unknown history: all new bushings (already mentioned), new ball joints, new tie rod ends, the springs and shocks of the owner's choice and an alignment after it's all been put back together. If I was going to drive it con brio - which is the point, surely, I would not want to do that with these (consumable) parts being old or of unknown condition. They are not all that expensive, and the job of replacement is relatively straightforward and rewarding. My car has Ward & Dean street springs and a 5/8" rear sway bar, much like International's kit. I run a fresh set of Boge shocks which I find plenty adequate (others might not). My car sits pretty level, not the "classic stance". I think it handles well, but like many of us here, I'm not a pro and could be deluding myself. John

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
For instance " frozen shocks"? There's no such thing.

I bought 4 shocks from JC Whitney in the early 70's for my GTV thinking it would be an improvement on the 40K mile ones that were on it. Well :mad:, when I went to put them on, one your couldn't budge - you couldn't extend it to put it on. I told the folks at JCW that the ###ker appeared to be "frozen." "Sounds like it to me also" they said and told me to send it back. Consider yourself lucky you've never run into "frozen shocks."

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
yr quest is over. BEST setup is
15' wheels 195-55-15 tires
bilsteins all around
Alfaholics B kit springs

THE END

1 - 19 of 19 Posts