Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a steering shaft in good condition for my 72 GTV. The one I have is pitted on the end where I contacts the ball bearings in the Burman box.

Please let me know if you have one to sell, thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have one removed from a '74 if you strike out.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Well,darn. I dragged this one out of storage but it appears to be an early 1750 as it does not have the ignition steering lock. Probably won't work for you. It's approx 32 3/8" long and doesn't appear to have the corrosion on the worm that yours does. It's a little hard to tell through the goo and sawdust just yet though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I checked the one from my 72 parts car and same condition, sorry! I did the taper bearing mod on one box and it seems to work well. Daron

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Turns out the 32.5" shaft I pictured above with the steering wheel attached does have the ignition lock but when I cleaned off the goo it looks like it has worse damage than the one you have. According to this thread, ( Burman steering box rebuild ) the worm can be machined and was a service that Burman offered until they dissolved a few years ago. I'm not sure how you can machine the damage off and still retain the ball clearance though. That's why I'm not a machinist, I guess. You can have mine for $25 plus shipping if you want to experiment.

SAM_1774.JPG
SAM_1774.JPG SAM_1777.JPG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks anyway Bill but I will try to find one with less wear. 10 years after sent you a PM. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts