Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been a member of this Forum for several years and read it most days. It has been very valuable in restoring my 74 GTV.
I have owned mine for 12 years and it is a US version. Every year during the winter here in Canada when I cannot drive it, I choose a certain area to rebuild that I had not gotten to during the restoration.
This year it is the steering column. I have been looking for three items which i need some help on. The column has an upper bushing which is mounted in rubber and results in side play in the wheel. I am also looking for the Univerds joint which is located at the bottom end of the column near the box. Us versions had a UJ instead of the Euro version stiff column. I needed an ignition switch also but have found one.
I have checked most or all of the suppliers for these items but no luck.
The UJ measures 20mm dia on the caps and 45mm across.

I sure someone has had to replace these items in the past and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Lawrence

·
Out of the office!
11,656 Posts
Hi, I have been a member of this Forum for several years and read it most days. It has been very valuable in restoring my 74 GTV.
I have owned mine for 12 years and it is a US version. Every year during the winter here in Canada when I cannot drive it, I choose a certain area to rebuild that I had not gotten to during the restoration.
This year it is the steering column. I have been looking for three items which i need some help on. The column has an upper bushing which is mounted in rubber and results in side play in the wheel. I am also looking for the Univerds joint which is located at the bottom end of the column near the box. Us versions had a UJ instead of the Euro version stiff column. I needed an ignition switch also but have found one.
I have checked most or all of the suppliers for these items but no luck.
The UJ measures 20mm dia on the caps and 45mm across.

I sure someone has had to replace these items in the past and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Lawrence

The column actually has two sets of roller bearings (not bushings) One at the top and one at the base. I got some from AFRA a number of years ago. However, you may be able to source them at a bearing shop. There are some numbers embossed on the top of the bearing.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The column actually has two sets of roller bearings (not bushings) One at the top and one at the base.
really ? mine uses a bronze bushing at the top. the bottom worked well enough, so i left it alone, and i have no idea what it is.

The column has an upper bushing which is mounted in rubber and results in side play in the wheel. I am also looking for the Univerds joint which is located at the bottom end of the column near the box.
try getting some good used parts from APE.

I needed an ignition switch also but have found one.
i replaced mine years ago with a replacement for Alfa Ricambi. but they are barely in business anymore. which suppliers did you try ? the switch is the same as the spider, and they were used for many, many years. maybe you could get a decent used one (as long as you get the key to go with it).

what went wrong with it? is it mechanically broken, or not electrically switching anymore ? after replacing mine, which did not electrically switch, i played with my old one. i took it apart, cleaned it up, lubed it and put it back together. worked fine after that. sorry, i don't know where it is now, or the key to go with it :( it WAS A REAL PITA to reassemble it though, if i remember correctly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts