Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the front and rear springs and shocks on my 1971 GTV. I've read all the discussions on red springs, yellow springs, spring rates, etc. I know what I will buy, my only concern now is the installation. I have the required tools and aptitude....I'm not sure I have the lifting capability. A document that I downloaded from Centerline says I would need to get the car 30" off the ground to remove/replace the springs. This is higher than I can get with the floor jack and stands that I have. Has anyone replaced springs under their shade tree? Is it really necessary to lift the car 30"? Any other advice / cautions?

·
Premium Member
23,247 Posts
Factory springs are long, and you have to have a lot of droop room both front and rear.

I don't know the exact height I got my GTV to when I did this last year, but I did it in my garage with a couple normal floor jacks and jack stands. At the front, I had to put the jack stands at the highest setting, and raise them on 2 x 6s, to get just enough height to use the factory spring compressor. Same at the rear.

At the rear, if you're not using the factory spring compressor, but instead just lowering the trailing arms with floor jacks, you can get by with less height.

Going back together with shorter springs, you need a lot less height. See pics of comparison to stock and Rugh sport springs.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,247 Posts
You can see in the pics that I have the jack stands up on a couple 2x4/2x6 cribs. That's how high I needed to go to get the stock springs out with typical cheapie jack stands.

Andrew

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
The shorter "performance" rears can be put in without a spring compressor. They'll fit right in when you jack up the rear.

·
Premium Member
23,247 Posts
I did the rears both in and out, stock and aftermarket, without a spring compressor. Not the fronts though.

Andrew

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Just a reminder. Springs that are under compression are under a lot of pressure. Be extreamly careful getting them out. In other vehicles that I have removed springs, I wrap a cable around them and the frame in the event they "pop" out during removal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great responses to my question....it helps. Andrew - When installing the new front springs did you re-install the aluminum spacers or leave them out? A mechanic took mine out years ago to lower the front end a bit now I'm concerned that new shorter springs with no spacers may make it too low. I plan to install new rubber springs cushions.

·
Premium Member
23,247 Posts
My 74 GTV had the spacers. I left them out, but plan to put them back in, as the car sits with a noticeable nose-down stance I don't like. This is with Rugh sport (not race) springs front and rear. This will depend on what springs you use though.

These springs result in the car being a couple inches lower than stock.

Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So, if it looks like I am going to need the aluminium spacers, any ideas where to get them?....mine are long gone. Anybody out there have any for sale?

OOPS, never mind.....I just found that Centerline has them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts