Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody knows where I can find detailed spec of each year GTV??

Kinda confused of when the GTV start having quad headlights, hydraulic clutch, LSDs, etc...

Thank you very much. :)

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
gtv spec sheet

i got a big huge one inside my head. what do you need to know. to answer your previous questions:

1969 quad headlights

1969 hydraulic clutch

1974 (i think) i know for a fact that they were an option on the 74 gtv's but am not 100% sure if they came out in 72 with the 2 liter or in 74.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: gtv spec sheet

italcarguy said:
i got a big huge one inside my head.
Haha

You pretty much answered everything I want to know, thx. :)

I didn't know LSD was optional.
How hard to find and how expensive is a LSD axle?

How can I tell if it has a LSD or not?

Thx. :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Optional Equipment

My Euro GTV has a rare option . . a rear defroster courtesy of a rear-mounted blower motor.

The switch is on the right under the heater controls. I have no idea what the other two switches go to. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Good one!

Sure glad I don't play with the ejection switch while driving! And that NOS switch will surely melt my slipping clutch. Thanks!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I aggree with italcarguy that the switch to quad lights and a hydraulic clutch appeared in 1969 USA models but the rest of the world got them in 1968 with the introduction of the 1750. A few of the other changes incorporated into the 105.44 include the smooth nose hood, the front parking/turn signal lights were moved from the sides of the headlights to below them, 14" wheels (were 15"), different gauges, a new dash with mahogany veneer, the addition of a gearshift console, a locking steering wheel and, thankfully, at least to me, the deletion of the side marking lights on the Series 1 Euro models.
The 1750 parts book I have lists an LSD as an option on both Euro and USA versions. I believe LSDs were standard starting with the 2000 in 1972. Don't know how to tell the difference though; at least from the outside!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
papajam said:
The 1750 parts book I have lists an LSD as an option on both Euro and USA versions. I believe LSDs were standard starting with the 2000 in 1972. Don't know how to tell the difference though; at least from the outside!
Thank you Jim for all the info!!

Does that mean the differential housing is identical on both LSD and non-LSD model?
Thx.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
If I'm reading the 1750 parts books correctly, the LSD and non-LSD diff housings are the same so there's no way of telling what you have unless it comes apart. The housing in the 2000 Euro parts book, however, has a different part number than it's 1750 counterpart. In addition, the 2000 book makes no mention of a non-LSD. This seems to support two things: 1) LSDs became standard with the 2000 models and 2) since the 1750 and 2000 housings have different part numbers, it adds weight to the rumor I heard that the LSD rears have an extra web or something like that cast into them. This would mean that an LSD can be identified from the outside. Haven't a clue what (or where) to look. Anybody?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
On the 2-liter cars, the LSD was listed as "optional" in 1972 and standard in 1973 and 1974. That having been said, it was sort of a "mandatory option" in 1972 and as far as I can tell all US cars had them that year as well.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You are correct, the differential housings of LSD vs. non-LSD have a different number of 'webs'. There is also a 'V' cast in one but not the other. I can't remember exactly, but I believe the LSD's have the V and have one more 'web' than the non-LSD. If I feel inspired, maybe I'll head out to the garage and count them on mine. BTW, according to Wes Ingram, most GTV LSD's aren't anymore, the clutch pack wear after 30+ years has rendered them effectively non-LSD.

Ciao,

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Rex Chalmers offers rebuild units on an exchange basis. Not much of a PITA, and I'm sure much less than the cost of new.

Call him at Alfa Sport - 920.533.4505.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hopefully mine is not completely worn out yet.

But, how can I tell?
Life the rear end up? Turn one wheel, and ask my friend to put some force in the other one?

Any suggestion is welcome. Thx.

:)

JoeCab said:
Rex Chalmers offers rebuild units on an exchange basis. Not much of a PITA, and I'm sure much less than the cost of new.

Call him at Alfa Sport - 920.533.4505.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
How I checked.

Raised the rear up, ran it in first had someone push one tire, which drifted momentum to right and vise versa. Mine's pretty weak, but it works.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts