Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After letting the car sit for couple of days is having problems starting. Gas seems not be the problem as I can smell the gas. I am getting a yellowish very weak spark coming from the coil or spark plug cables. Any ideas? I am assuming the spark for these cars should be a bit white or blue;)? I noticed in the past weeks the car would take longer to start.

Is it time to change the points or condenser?

Thanks in advance.

cheers

1972 spica 2.0 gtv

·
Super Moderator
11,367 Posts
Condensers last a long time - I doubt it's that. Rather than replace the points, try re-gapping them.

The spark will appear weak and yellow in direct light. A Kettering ignition doesn't produce a spark that looks like an arc welder.

I hate to ask, but how's your compression?

·
Premium Member
22,398 Posts
Could be a lot of possibilities. Generally spark is pretty objective; it works or it doesn't, if you haven't messed with the orientation of the distributor. On a Spica car there are a number of fuel possibilities, but Spica doesn't generally change overnight. Compression would be good to check, but it's unlikely to have changed enough in a matter of days or weeks to keep the car from starting unless the head gasket blew. Is the cold-start solenoid working? Are the electrical connections at the ignition switch, starter, and CSS good? If you don't know how to check the Spica it might pay to have someone who does look it over. But yes, as Jay suggested, start with the basics.
Andrew

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I gaped the points and clean them a bit and the spark was better. I did noticed after removing the spica air filter can, gas started to vomit out from the intake. I guess it was over flooded with gas, so I decided to let it sit there for a while. I came back and now the car starts up, took it for a test drive and runs great. Maybe it was a combination of both, gas flooded and weak spark. I didn't know these cars have a cold start valve. Is it mechanical or electrical? Does it work like the modern cars when you turn the ignition switch? Perhaps some tips will help me a lot in starting up in the future for these cars and spica, I am very green for mechanical fuel injection.

Thanks for all your help Jay and Andrew.

cheers

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
Starting technique on a spica car is just about as important as a good point gap. Real easy to flood if you depress or pump the accelerator pedal while cranking. keep your foot off or just crack the throttle until she fires off. I put a push button switch on my cold start and only use it when the engine is cold.

edit, if you had gas flood out it is possible the CSS is sticking and this falls under the if you don't use it you lose it catagory. Not saying that is what happened but it is possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts