Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning and preparing to rebuild the front suspension on my 69 GTV, I found this tear in the sheet metal of the drivers side front shock mount structure.
Can the group offer any advice on the best way to repair this situation?
Is it acceptable to MIG weld a bead over the tear?
Or is it better to make a curved sheet metal patch and weld over the area?
I think the repair needs to be done on the inside as there is little room to get to the area from behind to effectively weld.

Thanks for any advice!
Jeff

Automotive tire Paint Motor vehicle Wood Road surface

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
I would drill a small hole at each end of the crack to stop advancement should it be predisposed to grow. Then carefully grind a V grove so as not to go all the way through. Then I would oxy-acetylene weld with filler rod to get a softer less stressed weld. TIG welding might be ok but I think MIG will give you a hard weld. Can you get to the back side?

Ken

Reactions: cabikefreak

·
Registered
112 Posts
However you end up repairing it, you might want to explore what is causing it in the first place. Is this normally a highly stressed point in the body? I don't recall seeing such a crack before. If it is unusual, there may be a suspension component or frame element that is misaligned.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I like kengta's plan. However there are not many people that know how to gas weld. A lost art like brazing. By the way, do not braze it shut. That would be like using glue.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@kengta
Thanks for the repair recommendation. Good idea.
Once I find a shop to perform the repair I will pass along that info.
Also thanks to the others for their suggestions. All appreciated!
~jeff

·
Registered
363 Posts
My car has suffered the same issue. The area was welded & reinforcement plates were added.
(sorry i don't have a photo to show at the moment)

Alfaholics reinforce this area when constructing their GTA-R bodyshells...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Wow, that is such a small crack I would be happy the front end is so good. Vary rare to put a 105 up on the hoist and not see some cracks around there somewhere. These things suffer pretty badly from damage around that area. Kens repair advice is good however I would go further. Stitch weld up the surrounding area as much as you can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts