Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cleaning up the interior on a 73 GTV. The seat belts are a bit ratty so I want to replace them both. I bought a nice set of retractable 3-point belts through a supplier a few years ago for a different GTV. He is no longer in business so can anyone recommend a supplier?

I see 3-point belts at Classic Alfa but they are the static type - Retractable for convenience or static for authenticity?

Thanks!
John

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
I had the Securon retractable ones Classic Alfa sells in my '74 GTV. Was never happy with them: they were difficult to pull out and didn't retract consistently.

I went with a set of the Euro retractable three-point belts sold by Retrobelt and they're much better.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I went with the Retrobelt aviation style in the front and rear and have been happy with how they've performed with a few small niggles. The rear belt buckles do clatter a bit when the car vibrates but a simple rubber band solved that issue. For the front, I do find the hard plastic sleeves for the buckles do rub against the seat cushions. If I was to do it again, I would likely try the European style for the front.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you buy them direct?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
#6 a moment ago

I just added this to an other topic a moment ago

These are the ones I installed a while ago. Good results..
Some belts have a design where the rotation is critical. (vertical, horizontal, etc.)
The ones these guys sell belts are designed so as to allow them to be installed in any rotation. I think it has to with a centrifugal gadget inside to lock up the belt.. The one shown also has an adjustable length on the part that bolts to the hump over the drive shaft. Some others have a fixed length that you can choose, some do not. Get the one that says "bench seat adjustable". You can adjust and sow the web so it won't change.

3 Point Retractable Roadster Seat Belt Chrome Seatbelt Buckle

www.wescoperformance.com
www.wescoperformance.com

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
Did you buy them direct?
I got them from Summit Racing, I think they were a little cheaper there:

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone!

John

·
Registered
835 Posts
I installed a set of the Securon belts for a fellow aa couple of years ago in his 74 GTV He had bought them They were terrible, would not retract, hard to pull out I really like the look of those European retro belts, I am doing a full resto for a fellow ( sorry guys it is a BMW 2002ti ) and going to use the retrobelts just my 2 cents worth Here are some 3 point retractables That I made boxes for and mounted them under the parcel shelf |( again a 2002 tii ) and had them come up thru the parcel shelf, got some trim from seatbelt planet to finish the hole where they came up ( sorry, no pictures of the trim ) They worked out quite nice but not sure where the owner got them from

Thanks, Rick

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just received the belts from Summit. When you have a chance, would you please send a photo of the retractor and how the other piece of the belt matches up?
Thanks,
John

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
So it's kind of hard to photograph, but the other end of the belt just attaches to the same bolt that holds the retractor. It goes between the retractor and the body.

I mixed and matched a couple of spacers on the bolt to get everything right so that the end of the belt can rotate freely on the bolt. I don't remember if these came with the Retrobelt ones...I may have reused some of the hardware from the Securon ones.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that helps. Much appreciated.

John

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,610 Posts
From what I can see that looks right, yes

·
Premium Member