Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a set from Centerline - Help me out here - when I try to install the straps the (top) set of attaching holes do not line up with each other. The two different arch lengths bring the holes out of alignment - the bottom two hole sets line up because the top and bottom straps are different lengths. I have talked to three suppliers and they all tell me that this is the first time anyone has commented on this problem. any comments/guidance ? ? ? Howard

·
Registered
759 Posts
Which car?

Early vary from later.

Chuck

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just bought a set from Centerline - Help me out here - when I try to install the straps the (top) set of attaching holes do not line up with each other. The two different arch lengths bring the holes out of alignment - the bottom two hole sets line up because the top and bottom straps are different lengths. I have talked to three suppliers and they all tell me that this is the first time anyone has commented on this problem. any comments/guidance ? ? ? Howard
Not quite sure to understand you completely, but when I changed my straps (green Stuff btw) there where 4 pieces i.e. 2 Straps for each side. These have to be put in place as a Layer made out of these two straps (one on top of the other).

The "shorter" one is the "inner" strap (inner layer of both straps)

and sitting on the outside

the "longer" one as the "outer" strap (outer layer of both straps)

Once this is done then its important to figure out how the upper mounting mounting parts (the ones with the metal guides curved to the rear, and the aluminum spacer, that are hodl by the two bolts) are supposed to be placed.

Hope this helps.

KInd regards Toli 0815

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Not quite sure to understand you completely, ...
Yea, I had the same reaction.

The "shorter" one is the "inner" strap (inner layer of both straps) and sitting on the outside the "longer" one as the "outer" strap (outer layer of both straps)
Is it possible that HEH OK is combining two long straps on one side, two short ones on the other, and that is causing the mismatch?

As a side note, why use the two-strap system, unless you are striving for 100 point correctness on an early car? The later, single strap system is much simpler to work on.

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
Jay, isn't that backwards?
Sometimes backwards things I write.

OK, let me re-phrase what I wrote in post #6:

...why use the two-strap system, unless you are striving for 100 point correctness for whatever year car you own? The single strap system, which was used at some point in Alfa's history, is much simpler to work on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
GTV Rebound Straps

I'm not sure whether I'm being any help here, but I've just replaced the straps on my 69 1750 GTV (105.44). I initially couldn't find the original style straps so I bought the material from a local belting supplier and made my own using the originals as templates. As it turns out you can get the original material straps but you still have to add in your own holes. I would expect that any set of purchased straps with pre-made holes would be correct so long as they are the correct pairs and attached properly.

I attached the straps to the body first and then added the joining plates. There is a significant appearance of misalignment in the joining holes until the straps are weighted into their final shape as the upper bends are quite pronounced. I left the final length of the inner straps a bit long and without the lower set of joining holes and then cut the inner to finished length and added the holes after a trial fitting. They seem to have turned out quite well. I won't know until I get the rear axle and springs back in place and put the straps under real world conditions.

By the way, my parts manual shows a second plate, Part #105.44.25.977.00 as part of the fit up between the upper spacer plate and the strap. It looks like it was there to keep the joining bolts from hitting the bodywork. Once the straps have taken some weight and taken a set that probably won't be an issue. These plates were not present on my car so I didn't add them. They could be added later if need be.

Good luck. Message me if you are still having difficulties.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts