Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Just purchased a GTV and am considering a rear seat delete modification. Did a search and came up with a few ideas but was hoping anyone who has done it would post some pictures so I can see some other options.

I am also looking to install a radio (either in the glove box or under console) and would like some advice on speakers (location/type) - currently no radio or speakers in the car. My initial though was to put speakers just in the back of the delete (where a rear passenger's back would be) but wondering if I'll be able to hear enough sound. Would rather not put anything in the door panels. Would consider rear deck.
Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
For the speakers (and even the amp, if you want a clean reversible install), you might want to consider building a box that sits where your rear seat used to be. The box could hold the speakers (and amp), and would be removable for when you didn't want to haul it around with you.

I'm considering doing something similar with the GTV I'm restoring so that I don't have any speakers installed permanently anywhere into the car. I may even go as far as to install the head unit into the box as well so that I don't have to install it into the car either.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Beautiful job! Wish I'd seen your pix before paying to have the rear seats rebuilt and reupholstered.

·
Registered
222 Posts
great work!

so those are now storage compartments where the base of the seat used to be?

·
Registered
418 Posts
The rollcage/bar is a standard issue Sparco (with the front end removed)
I got it cheap off a crashed Giulia Sprint GT.
@tapebaker: yes, now I have two nice junk compartments in the seat whells :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Rear deck

this was done when I bought the car. Roll bar is in there I added harness bar for belts and mounted box speakers to base of roll bar with hose clamps. turned out to be pretty easy and looked good

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
The harness rear straps are anchored onto two beams that are sandwiching the rear bulkhead at the base of the trunk.

seen from cabin

seen from trunk

For the 3-point belt, the shoulder-point anchor has been moved to the rollcage:

I am really satisfied with the result and it makes me smile just sitting in the car, but it was quite cumbersome (and expensive; my mechanic did it !!)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Am I loosing my marbles or do I see a lap and diagonal belt AND a four point harness? In a previous picture there was a red harness which now appears to be black too!!!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
haha - keep your marbles :)

I had to keep the diagonal belt because 4-point harness is not allowed for road traffic in Denmark.

And I replaced the red harness with blacks last year.

·
Super Moderator
11,342 Posts
My objectives in doing a rear seat delete were to: provide a shelf for an ice chest + some luggage, free up some volume to locate the car's batteries, and still have a rudimentary rear seat that could carry a third passenger in a pinch. So I retained the original seat back and only replaced the seat bottom. Another advantage of retaining the seat back is that the car still looks stock until you look down into the interior.

The rear seat bottom was replaced with a shelf made from 3/8" plywood. A simple wooden frame made out of 3/4" thick pine supports the front of the shelf - a couple of metal brackets support it at the rear. The first photo in the preceeding post shows the work-in-process - the shape of the top shelf was quite complex, so to simplify things, I made the top in two pieces, installed the two halves, and and then marked where to cut so things would line up. So no, the plywood doesn't overlap once finished.

The second photo above shows how I located the car's batteries under the horizontal platform. I installed a cut-off switch in the riser, behind the driver's seat. By putting two 6v Optimas under the platform, I avoided giving up valuable trunk space to accommodate the battery (my underhood battery tray was badly rusted, providing a great excuse to relocate the battery).

The shelf is covered with the same "salt and pepper" carpet material used to upholster the car's floor. The wood frame is upholstered with the same grey vinyl used on the car's seats, side panels, and rear wheel arch cover.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts