Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone who trailers their race to and from the track enlighten me if a suv/truck with the folowing trailer weights would be sufficient to tow a GTV race car:

Maximum trailer weights:
(Trailers without brakes) 1,650 lb. (750 kg)
(Trailers with brakes) 3,500 lb (1585 kg)
Maximum tongue weight 330 lb. (150 kg).

Thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Probably not a good idea.

GTV race car weighs around 2000lb. Add some tools, fuel, tires wheels etc. 2500lbs. The lightest trailer I used was an 18' all Aliminum Featherlite open trailer (just a flat deck) and I believe it weighed 1200lbs.

I would shoot for a bare minimum rating of 5000lb trailer and 500lb tongue. The tongue weight rating will be affected even if your trailer only weighs 350lbs at the tongue but you put 200lb of tools, equipment, supplies and beers in the back of the SUV!

I would definitely get a trailer with brakes as well. Finally, the heavier the tow vehicle the less it will be pushed around by the trailer (tail wagging the dog).

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Not sure of the towing specs, but I had no trouble towing a 1700 pound 2-axle trailer (with brakes) behind a late model 6-cylinder Trailblazer. Longest trip was Chicago to Watkins Glen.

Erik

·
Registered
51 Posts
Too close to the limits for me.
And, you won't enjoy the trip uphill or just getting away from the light, or the temperature of the Auto-trans fluid on a warm day.
It's so much more fun when you over spec the tow vehicle.

Ken

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmm..Guys, it is hard to find a suv out there that has a minimum rating of 5000lb trailer and 500lb tongue.

Need to find something the woman will drive weekly and I can snatch for the weekends:)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I used to tow my GTV on a heavy tandem axle unbraked trailer behind a Nissan ute ( truck ) 750/1600Kg tow weights, no problem, even up and down steep hills, I now have a light single axle trailer and that tows really easily. Of course the bigger the tow vehicle the better but also look at getting the narrowest trailer you can use, I went from 2.5m wide to 2,1m and the stress while towing went down substantially.
Ciao
Hans

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hmmm..Guys, it is hard to find a suv out there that has a minimum rating of 5000lb trailer and 500lb tongue.

Need to find something the woman will drive weekly and I can snatch for the weekends:)
Jeep Cherokee or Liberty, Chevy Trailblazer, VW Toureg, Ford Explorer etc.
You won't need huge power (engine) unless you will be towing long distances or in the mountains all of the time. I have a Jeep Liberty 4 cylinder diesel that yanks around a 5000lb enclosed trailer quite easily.

Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Trailblazer with 4.2 Six and 3:73 diff has a combined weight rating at / or over 10,000+ lbs and although your wife's approval is the wild-card, it would be my vote if overkill won't fit in the family.

Try to visit chevrolet.com next. There's a tab for trailering info.

I once worked for GM and enjoy my Avalanche so I'm a little biased, though.

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts