Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for oppinions for colors on a project GTV. Right now I am thinking about going matte black with a big green serpent on the hood.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Fine if you want to join the "boy racer" crowd-would suit a Nissan, or Honda or Subaru better though. Alfas are not really this category of car and an original colour would look much better, maintain the value of your car and look better Othewise its going to look like a 50 yr old woman trying to look like a 20yr old prostitute. Rats with a gold tooth will have more class.
Your car though.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Matte black does make one think of the "tuner" crowd doesn't it? I'm sure the opinions here will run the gamut from keeping it stock to complete track prep so, the first question is: What do you want to do with it? Show car, track car or driver?

The second question is: What condition is the car in now? A car in good, original condition deserves to remain in that, or better condition. However, a battered car with little going for it will be much better served by getting it on the road in any condition rather than letting it rot away. If, however, you plan on altering a decent car, please do not make any irreversible mods and keep any parts you remove. I'm having to deal with a few difficult mods made by the "boy racer" PO of my '69 GTV.:mad:

In the end it's your car and you can do with it as you wish. You'll find find those here that will back you no matter what, and those that will "flame" you for modifying a perfectly good car. Don't take it personal, it's what we do.;)

BTW, If paint is the only thing you're changing, go for it. The next owner can simply repaint to his hearts desire. Just don't put a wing on it! (**** PO!):eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am having a similar quandry, whether to leave my gtv original (red)
or go ferrari yellow.

matte black will certainly be unique.
not sure that it will suite a gtv though.

As far as I am concerned its your car so do as you wish.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you want to go black, at least use a gloss. Cars painted in a semi gloss or flat paint are a pain to wash, and do not get the credit or respect they deserve, even if they are fast. (Trust me I know, I have such a creature. I'm hoping to do something about it this winter if things play out correctly.)

Will

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Matt black is an unforgiving colour and, unlike a gloss, does not show highlights which accentuate the body lines and give the shape to the car. Bertone knew precisely what he was doing, or Giugaro did, and the ridges, swages and crests in the profile of the car are there for a stylistic reason. You will loose these with the matt black.
It is no accident that manufacturers who want to disguise their cars paint them matt black, the difference is astonishing.
After saying that, it is of course, your car, so how about a compromise? Paint it one of the original Alfa colours and then have it plastic covered in matt black with your serpent as suggested. I have seen this done to a yellow Lusso in the UK and it looked amazing... but it wasn't a Lusso any more!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,370 Posts
I think matte black on a track-oriented GTV can look quite nice, the key is how well it is done and the other details of the car. From what I gather it is not easy to apply evenly and in a finish that holds up well to automotive use.

Here is a matte black car I saw at the 2009 AROC convention. The owner told me he intended it to be a temporary paint job but grew to like it. It works for me! A large green hood serpent would be a little much, IMHO, the reason this car works is that the whole effect is rather subtle.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think my two sons have left a few pieces to the puzzle out. We also have a 74 gtv as a donor car. Lots of rot but pretty complete. The 69 as you can see has no drive tran or engine but a decent body. So I thought this would be a great father son's project.
I am going to let them pick the color and how they want it finished out. (with in reason)
It will probaby end up looking like a track car/driver.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've seen many vehicles painted satin/matte black. It is rarely done right, as is difficult to apply correctly. The labor is there, the materials cost the same, but you rarely get the credit it deserves because it always looks halfway done. My 2 cents:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Matt black ???

You want to ruin one of the most beautiful cars ever designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro,go ahead. If you do paint it matt black,your car will end up in the injured Alfa thread. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Okay you aked for opinions so here goes. Please apply flame retardent now over your entire body except your eyes. I want you to be able to read this.
Flat black is a paint job applied by amateurs who can't paint a decent two pack paint job. Everyone who sees this car will think, "Nice car, but what a crummy paint job. Rattle can? Cheaped out huh?" hmmm...

And the big green serpent? This ain't the seventies no more man, and if you want to get laughed at by people who know better, then go ahead. You've just devalued your car which is probably a good thing because the next owner is sure going to get a deal on the price he pays for your mess.

Just don't forget to hang some fuzzy dice from your rear view mirror, some moon hubcaps on your wheels, grease back your hair and stuff a pack of smokes under the fabric of your tee shirt's left arm:cool:.

Your car will be so bad.
So sad.
dos centavos

·
Registered
318 Posts
Joe, I think the matte black looks pretty good.... But it might be from my entire body being scorched by flame retardent

·
Registered
277 Posts
Dave,you made me laugh so much with your comment,especially with the one about the dice hanging down from the rear view mirror,you forgot to mention the foxtail,attached to the radio aerial??. seriously ,I hope he sees the light and paints his car a nice paint finish, after all he did ask for our advice and opinion. Cheers Dave :cool:;)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
How about semi-gloss black?? If you can get a couple of decent GTVs for under 3 grand it's all up to the owner as to what color it should be.
Way to welcome new Alfa guys fellas!

Sheesh......

Paul

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
the mat black and the green spitfire color of the turbo Gtam guy up north are warrior colors, for the track that is. This is one of the sexiest designs ever , chicks love this car ,people stare it and u can read envy in their eyes. The only way to ADD on that and actually GET SOME is by going : 1. Metallic 2. An "open" color
I'll let u choose the color yrself
p.s. NO I WON"T , either go lamborghini yellow -see my car pics OR http://www.jennings-ford.co.uk/newsales/newcars/ka/images/newGallery3_l.jpg THIS COLOR or Pearl Sugar crystal white(can't describe it more or have pictures or code) these are the 3 greatest colors i've witnesed and went: "Fock that'd be great on my GTV".
Don't let others influence you trust your own judgement ...AND DO AS I SAY

1 - 20 of 38 Posts