Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a replacement parcel shelf trim panel (short one for 70-on GTVs) from Alfaholics. It mostly fits okay, but at the rear there's like a 1" gap between the trim panel and the base of the window panel: you can see metal through it, and it doesn't look great. The one that came with my car (which is not original) has the same board shape, but has a vinyl "flap" stapled on the rear so all the metal is covered.

Any suggestions on how this is supposed to look? Is this normal or is the trim piece shaped incorrectly?

I suppose I can get some vinyl and add a flap to fully cover the rear metal panel, but I'd like to know what's correct.

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
Yes you are supposed to have that gap piece, or at least I have that piece for my car.

Also Alfa Romeo painted those areas matt black.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Huh. Yeah, that could be it: I definitely don't have that piece.

Funny thing is it doesn't appear to be on the parts diagrams from Alfa, either. But it looks like that would definitely fit.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, it's not in the US parts guide but it's in the Euro one. So the Euro cars were different, or the US parts diagram is incomplete? Mongo dunno.

Anyway that definitely looks like what I'm missing.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I concur with the comment on the fiber/paper mache trim piece on the rear edge of the parcel shelf. I have one on my 74 GTV. It does fill the gap between the parcel shelf and the rear windscreen. It has the consistency of the old egg cartons that were slush molded from paper board fiber -- and then painted black. I do not know of any reproductions out there but it is not a difficult process to replicate. By the way your parcel shelf is shaped properly -- the one I have is original as is the rear trim.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
My car is US spec...what I found with the parts diagrams is the Euro one is more complete and I only refer to the US diagrams for the exceptions. Exceptions like SPICA and the braking system....

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has the consistency of the old egg cartons that were slush molded from paper board fiber -- and then painted black.
So it was made by the same guys responsible for body steel quality, then? :LOL:

Thanks for the help, gents. I'm gonna order some vinyl and fabricate a flap to cover that up.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
.. Okay, it's not in the US parts guide .... or the US parts diagram is incomplete?
The US parts catalog only shows & lists the parts that are unique to the US model cars. For all the other parts you must refer to the Euro parts catalog.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got some black vinyl and added a folded flap across the rear of the panel. Just stapled it to the board. Looks pretty good and solved the gap problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
Looks pretty good and solved the gap problem.
That does look good. I painted my diffuser semi-gloss black, so assuming that was its original color, your vinyl looks like the correct part. What sort of vinyl did you use? It doesn't look like naugahyde / skai.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The panel is from Alfaholics in the UK and came pre-covered. I made the flap using black "marine vinyl" from Jo-Ann Fabrics. It's a very close match.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I believe that the metal directly below the glass rubber both vertical and horizontal is painted Matt or semi gloss black so as to obscure any gaps. Same at the front.

I have a broken in storage paper molding kicking around, I just hope I can find all the pieces to glue back together and fill and paint should need be. They are hard to store unless you put in a box. Then it's out of sight and never to be found again unless you take a picture, print it and stick on 3 sides of the box.

Ken

·
Administrator
12,551 Posts
Then it's out of sight and never to be found again ...
Until in desperation you have given up and bought another one. Then of course the original appears!

Pete

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Until in desperation you have given up and bought another one. Then of course the original appears!

Pete
Yea I forgot. Been there done that too.

K

1 - 16 of 16 Posts