Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping some members can offer advice or suggestions about changing my rear bumpers on a 1974 GTV without the bumperettes. My understanding is tha the later GT Juniors used the same rear bumpers, but had stainless join cover plates installed over the two seams. I recently purchased these cover plates from Classic Alfa, expecting them to have holes for fasterners or screws on the bottom (See below). But they don't. They are flat and need to be bent around the bumper and look like cheap repros of the originals which I understand had fasteners. Has anyone used these on their GTV or GT Junior, and if so any advice on how to properly attach would be appreciated!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I saw these on the Classic Alfa website and was skeptical so made some out of aluminum. They were not as finished looking as the ones on the website but I was happy with them. I thing you need to work the shape and bend them to fit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They look fine. Did you replace the bumper over rider bolts with carriage bolts and drill new holes in the body?

·
Registered
177 Posts
On my junior the covers clip over the top of the bumper and are held with a small self tapping screw underneath into the black plastic moulding, don't know if it's standard but it works and can't be seen unless your looking for it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I thought about doing something like that but was worried that I would crack the black bumper spacers which are made of bakelite material. Did you drill a hole in the bumper spacers? How small are the screws?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I didn't do it but it's been like that 30 years I know of
If your worried you could always drill and tap it for an M3 or 1/8 UNC that's not going to crack anything

1 - 8 of 8 Posts