Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I have recently rebuilt my 76 alfetta gtv 2.0 engine. I Reassembled everything back into the vehicle, filled my oil filter and slightly over filled the engine, removed the plugs and cranked.. after about 20 seconds no oil pressure at all, i removed the oil pressure sender and replaced it with a oil pressure gauge i had, it read 0, I removed that and cranked again to see if anything was coming out of the hole but still nothing. I tested my gauge and sender and they are good so reassembled. Then I removed my oil filter (spin on) - was alot tighter then when i put it on. Whilst removed, started the engine and a constant stream of oil was pumping out which suggested to me that the pump is pumping. I really hoped a had a faulty oil filter so replaced that but still no oil pressure. I then removed my rocker cover and cam caps and checked my bearings and it looks to me that oil is reaching the cams. My next plan is to remove the sump and check that the relief valve isnt stuck open or something. Could any one please let me know there thoughts, i did take great care rebuilding this engine but is there something i could have done wrong? or has anyone else had troubles bleeding the oil pump.
Thanks for your time guys..

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
DO NOT RUN YOUR ENGINE.

How did you test your gauge and sender?

Did you mess with the oil pump at all? gears ? pressure relief valve? Is it a new oil pump?

·
Registered
652 Posts
It would seem strange to have absolutely zero pressure at the gage even if there was a reassembly issue. Cold oil is pretty thick and even at cranking speed you should get good pressure and at least some reading. Is the gage moving at all? See if you can get hold of a 'workshop test gage'. Give it another go. 20 seconds isn't very long. Also, I'm sure it can happen but surly its unlikely the pressure relief valve jams open. Its usually a issue with it not opening. Thats a pretty heavy spring in there. Simple things first its probably fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts