Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

In parallel with looking for a PDF version of the manual for my 1974 GTV, I also looked for a printed version. One thread suggested www.schiffeuropean.com as a good source, and the web site advertised that they "ONLY STOCK FACTORY ISSUED MANUALS!". After paying $39, I received a photocopy of the manual. Upon contacting the web site owner, and suggesting that I was looking for an original, I got the following response:
"That is the way the manual was supplied by Alfa Romeo. All we do is bind it." This response looked suspicious, although somewhat corroborated by the fact that the 1973 original manual I own did not look to be US market oriented.

The question is: is the website a scam, or do I truly have a manual the way it was supplied from the dealer in 1974?

-Dima

·
Out of the office!
11,612 Posts
Greetings,

In parallel with looking for a PDF version of the manual for my 1974 GTV, I also looked for a printed version. One thread suggested www.schiffeuropean.com as a good source, and the web site advertised that they "ONLY STOCK FACTORY ISSUED MANUALS!". After paying $39, I received a photocopy of the manual. Upon contacting the web site owner, and suggesting that I was looking for an original, I got the following response:
"That is the way the manual was supplied by Alfa Romeo. All we do is bind it." This response looked suspicious, although somewhat corroborated by the fact that the 1973 original manual I own did not look to be US market oriented.

The question is: is the website a scam, or do I truly have a manual the way it was supplied from the dealer in 1974?

-Dima

No, you've not been scammed. However, you should have been very clear on your request. Barry Schiff, owner of Schiff European, told me several years ago that he has a deal with ARDONA to print and sell Alfa manuals. He prints and sells what has been provided to him by ARDONA. In most if not all cases, the originals are long gone.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Nope. Occaisionally you can find a used one on eBay. That's how I got the replacement for the original that came with my car that was falling appart (the manual - not the car). I feel bad for you paying for a photocopy - you can request one for free from the Alfa Romeo Archives as long as you provide some proof that you own the car you're requesting the manual for. A nice service from Alfa!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for clarification, guys. My misunderstanding - I thought "Stock Factory" is the same as "Original." Barry Schiffer did suggest that I return the manual, so I guess I'll just keep treasuring the '73 original I have (despite the fact that there were no '73 GTVs in the US ;) ).

-Dima

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Dima,
I just parted out my '73 GTV last year, saving the mechanicals as the body was shot. I also saved the owners manual & it clearly says '73 model year. It has been in my family since new.
Ed

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting. I thought I read someplace '73 was not brought into the country. Do you know the actual date of manufacture of your car? (I was able to get mine through Centro Storico).

-Dima

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Alfa did not import into the US the 105 Series 1750 cars for the 1968 and 1970 model years. The 1972-1974 US version 2000 GTVs, model 115.01, were imported. The non-US 2000 GTVs are model 105.21 (LHD) and 105.22 (RHD).

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Dima,
I never bothered to find out as it was clapped out body wise after spending 10 + years in Denver with my sister. I suppose I could as I should still have the title.
Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts