Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad bought "our" 1969 1750 GTV new and, for at least the past 35 years, it has had a pronounced lean toward the driver's side (the RHS facing the vehicle sits lower than the opposite side). The lean persists despite the replacement of the original springs with performance springs all around, one goal of which was to eliminate the imbalance in stance. The passenger's side (on which side the gas tank also resides) continues to sit at least an inch higher than the driver's side by reference to the height of the wheel arches relative to the top of the tires. What more can be done to achieve a more even/balanced stance? "Cutting" the springs (on the passenger's side) seems not to be a recommended/prudent option. Is there, then, for example, a lower (racing?) spring option I could employ on the passenger's side to bring the car into balance? Advise, please.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Since the GTV is 45 years old and the first 10 years it sat level. I think Someone did some front spring pan replacement in 1979 and swapped the pans from side to side, or replaced one of the pans with the incorrect part. Deep pan on passenger side, shallow spring pan on the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
14,000 Posts
I agree with Brad. You can adjust the stance by swapping the spring pans and also by inserting or removing aluminum spacers that fit between the pan and the bottom of the spring. It is not difficult to drop the pans. There are two safe methods, one involving threaded rod and the other using spring compressors. You should be able to find the details with the search function.
I may be able to help you if you need pans or spacers.

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
I agree with Ed.
I didn't mention the spacers as I assumed in the process of the recent spring replacement to cure the lean, the installer would be looking for the cause of the lean. A missing spacer on the drivers side would have been obvious I think. While the different pan depths or having the same incorrect pan depths would be far less obvious to an installer unless he knew what to look for. I think the difference in pan depth is about 10mm and I think there were 3 different aluminum spacer thicknesses for the front 3.5, 7, 10.5mm. The rear has spacers as well in about 4 or 5 different sizes, but the rear has less influence on the side to side lean as those springs are much softer. The cure to the problem can be handled a few ways, but not by cutting one spring, or putting a shorter lower stiffer spring, or a lower shorter weaker spring on the passenger side.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the helpful replies, Brad and Ed. I can't say for sure when the lean first became apparent and it's been probably 15 years since the "new" springs were installed. I'll heed your advice regarding the pans and spacers.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I concur. I've finished rebuilding the suspension on my 72GTV and the drivers side spring pan was shallower than the passenger side. You could look underneath the car at each and it should be obvious which is deeper. With regard to spacers: I had two on each side which I removed before reassembly. My US version had always been slightly higher in the front so hopefully once the engine is back in the car I will be level all around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts