Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to GTV's and while doing some interior work on my car, I identified that the light bulbs going to my small DEF and WIPE indicators in my center console work just fine but I have never seen them on. I always assumed they were burned out or something but the lights work fine. When I use the toggles they do NOT light up whether I have the headlights on or not.
My question is..... should they be lit when the headlights are on and or should they light up when in use?
I have a wiring diagram but am dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to electrical stuff.
In a perfect world I would love to have them lit whenever the headlights are in use. Any interior lighting would be helpful in these old cars at night.
A Preemptive thanks to all that chime in....

Michael

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ken.
I suspected that was the case but when you live in an area that has no 'Active' GTV guys around to ask. It just never occurred to me until I saw them light up as I tested things while reupholstering the center console.
I will take a look and with papajam's wiring diagram I should be able to figure it out.

·
Administrator
12,565 Posts
An Alfa where the interior lights work .... hahaha, flippin hilarious :grin2::grin2:

Good luck and if you get them working your car might be the first :wink2:
Pete

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks Ken.
I suspected that was the case but when you live in an area that has no 'Active' GTV guys around to ask. It just never occurred to me until I saw them light up as I tested things while reupholstering the center console.
I will take a look and with papajam's wiring diagram I should be able to figure it out.
If the other instrument lights work, and the bulbs in the center console are good, check for a good ground wire to the center console. Also check the hooded light to the heater control... Should be on the same circuit...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
None of the lights work but the wipers, fan etc all work fine. I am interested in your observation regarding the ground. Where is the ground wire routed in your car? Is there a separate one for the center console? if so I have not reconnected it.
Rheostat good Doug and turned up to 11.
Pete, I really want to figure this out because the lack of any light in the car at night is a problem. Thanks for making me laugh though!!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If none of the dash lights work, I agree with 74GTV... Check the rheostat since power to all the dash lights comes from there... And locate the common dash ground since all the lights return power there... I assume you have a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found the problem

For those interested, I did find the problem with the interior lights. It turned out to be a disconnected wire at the rheostat. I ran power to all the lights individually and they worked fine but when I ran power to the heater control light they all came on together. I traced the wired from there back to the rheostat switch and found the problem. It looks really period and cool now!!!
I will take a picture once I put everything back together.
Thanks for all the help - you guys really nailed it this time!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm very pleased to have working lights in a GTV.
You would think the Dallas area (where I live) would have a few roaming around but NO. I hear stories of collectors in the area that have several sitting the corner of a warehouse somewhere. I have a friend in my club (the Italian car club of the Southwest) that has a 67 GT. I saw one 69 at cars and coffee a year ago but has never returned.
Now... Austin has an active GTV community and I have been down there to hang out with those guys. But 3 out of 4 of them brought other cars the day I crashed one of there meetings. Just my luck!!!
Anyway. I don't mind being the only one around most of the time because it makes my car Special.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ken,Pete and Doug - i still need your help

While I have this brain trust at my disposal I have a couple other issues that have come up related to interior lights.

1. Is there supposed to be a glass cover on the inside of the heater control hood? The light works but it produces a lot of glare. Made worse by the fact that the hood is cracked at the base which I will fix this weekend. Seems like there should be something in there.

2. One of my binnacle light holders is broken - where can a get another one?

3. I noticed that a small section of copper 'tape' on the back of my binnacle has ripped and is not connected anymore which is causing loss of continuity to one of my lights. Is there any way to fix this?
To reestablish the connection?

4. and lastly - my passenger door courtesy light works wonderfully. However my drivers side does not. If I put a bulb in it heats up really hot and blows or pops the fuse. I usually just keep if in the off position but since I am working on electrical stuff I might as well get your thoughts.....

As always, thanks for any help. You guys have been awesome!!!

Michael

·
Registered
349 Posts
Michael,

I didn't notice anything clear, but there is a shroud, or cover deflecting the amount of light that illuminates in the area.

Try ALFA PARTS - Alfa Romeo Parts, Spares, Accessories 800-890-ALFA or Centerline Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories | HOME | [888] 750-ALFA

Lots of copper tape available on line, in various widths for your repair(s).

I'd start by disconnecting your battery first and then removing your driver side courtesy light assembly. Check the wires coming from the headliner and to the assembly. Look for pinched wire(s), or maybe the short is from the connection area... Good luck.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
4. and lastly - my passenger door courtesy light works wonderfully. However my drivers side does not. If I put a bulb in it heats up really hot and blows or pops the fuse. I usually just keep if in the off position but since I am working on electrical stuff I might as well get your thoughts.....
It doesn't quite answer your problem, but your comment about getting hot made me think of this. I got these for my car in Warm White (so they are not that icy blue color) and they are much brighter than stock bulbs and they do not run hot like the stock bulbs and melt the plastic housing.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon-series-bulbs/3710-led-bulb-6-smd-led-festoon/661/1138/

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
There is a black plastic hood that houses the light bulb at the top of the heater control ... No clear plastic .... However you need the correct chrome plated plastic control plate to go with it. These get fragile with age and often break as you try to wrestle with securing the control levers and cables underneath. So they are replaced with the more common unhooded control plate and the light is left unconnected under the console...

If you're overheating the drivers side courtesy light and popping the fuse then there is an over current draw somewhere... Check for the correct bulb size... I do agree that switching over to LED bulbs for the courtesy, glove box, trunk, and hood lights are a good upgrade for better lighting without overheating and dis coloring the plastic lenses or housings.

PS: I can post a pix of the hooded heater control if you want...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the reply's. All great information.
My hood and control plate are original and your description of the wrestling needed to get those dam levers in place made me chuckle. I must have cracked it at some point. Now I will have to take it off and epoxy it together and reinstall. thanks for the info.

I will make an attempt to fix the holder with this "electrically conductive silver epoxy adhesive" that I found online. Worth a try.
if it doesn't work I will order as you recommended.

I think I will try that above epoxy on the back of my binnacle to fix the break.

I actually did try the LED idea and it didn't work. But now I have learned how to test bulbs and will try a couple of things tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Congrats! You're now the first GTV with working interior lights... in Dallas... maybe??? :wink2:

With as big as TX is, you surely can't be the only GTV in the area, can you?
My GTV's lights worked fine when I bought the car in 1983 and they still work fine. But just writing that sentence will probably result in me having to visit the lighting system pit of despair some time soon.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Making progress/Not making progress

I am starting to understand the Jokes now about interior lighting running through this thread.
It seems like every time I have a 'win' it is soon followed by an 'oh crap'.
For example,
#1. I worked on the drivers side courtesy light and successfully re wired it and now it no longer blows up or overheats but it will not come on when the door is opened as the passenger side does. More work to do.
#2. I have had recurring problems with all my lights working in my instrument cluster. replaced some bulbs and tested everything and it worked - until I put it back in the car at which point only some of it worked. I have since tracked it back to a faulty bit of conductive copper tape on the back. More work to do.
#3. I have noticed that my front blinkers (repeaters) work "most" of the time. So I thought while I'm on a roll - let figure out what's up with this deal. Long story short, in the process of figuring out the problem I have made it worse and now it doesn't work at all. and someone (PO ?) just glued it to the bodywork. More work to do!!!Its all good!!!!
Having fun with it.... but I get the jokes NOW.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
A wiring diagram and the time to trace out each wire in the harness is a time-consuming job. Unfortunately, it sounds like that's what your car needs.

There's nothing wrong with an Alfa's factory wiring. The problem is almost always what outside exposure and/or people have done to it once it left the factory. It's not like we have to carry jars of smoke in the trunk like British car owners, to replace what escapes from Lucas electrics.

I gave my GTV a little extra help, though, by moving the fuse block inside the car and hanging it up under the glove box. It's better protected from the elements and the engine compartment looks cleaner. Of course that's not original, so if you followed suit, you'd probably be shamed into joining Scuderia Non Originale.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts