Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not having any luck with this question in the For Sale section. I'm not even sure what to do. The glove box on my "new" 74 GTV has had the back chopped off making it too small to hold anything. Is the glove box on a 74 different from other years? The seatbelt interlock block seems to be in the way of where glove box should be. If this isn't correct, does anyone have a good glove box to sell? Should the interlock be mounted somewhere else?
Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is my question too difficult or too easy?

I'm not having any luck with this question in the For Sale section. I'm not even sure what to do. The glove box on my "new" 74 GTV has had the back chopped off making it too small to hold anything. Is the glove box on a 74 different from other years? The seatbelt interlock block seems to be in the way of where glove box should be. If this isn't correct, does anyone have a good glove box to sell? Should the interlock be mounted somewhere else?
Thanks...
Someone must have had to replace their glove box. Will the glove box from a 1750 fit a 2000?
Will a Berlina or Spider one fit?
Where is the seat belt interface box supposed to be mounted? (I assume that's what is pictured, I never had a car that had one before)
Thanks..

·
Registered
256 Posts
The seatbelt interlock "mystery box" on my '74 GTV is mounted to a little sheetmetal bracket spot welded to the right side kick panel/lower A-pillar area. It looks like a factory bracket, similar to the fuse box bracket on the other side.

Can the car run without this box? Is it just for the seatbelt warning light and buzzer? If so, I'll drill the spotwelds out and let you have the bracket.

I might be willing to part with my '74 GTV glovebox, too. I'll let you know tomorrow, after taking a closer look at the car and deciding if I can live without it. I'll take a pic of the bracket, too.

I'm mounting a Megasquirt EFI control box under the dash, behind the glovebox, and am no longer terribly concerned with originality of these trim pieces.

In trade, I'd be interested in a driver's side outside door handle in workable condition, if you have one!

George

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi George,

Thanks for the info. Pictures would be great! From the number of wires going into the thing, I can't imagine the car running without it!
I don't have an extra door handle.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Interlock box mounting bracket part of dash mount

Here are a couple of pics from under my '74 GTV dashboard. I can take better pictures later with the dashboard out.

This is the corner right under the passenger air vent. The interlock box fits right next to the glove box.

It turns out, the interlock box mounting bracket is the lower part of the bracket that holds the dash in place. The upper part of this bracket has the stud which the clevis on the dash slides over and gets bolted to.

So... sorry, but I can't live without it!

About the glove box... there's actually quite a bit of room behind it where I can fit the Megasquirt box, so... I'm inclined to keep it. Let's see if someone else has a spare glovebox first.

George

Attachments

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the photos George. I'll have to see if I have that bracket on my dash. If it turns out to be too much trouble or expense, I'll just find something to keep my papers in and keep it behind the seat and never open the glove box door :)

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Ken...you might be able to make a bottom for the glovebox from good ol' glassfibre.....shouldn't be too difficult with the glovebox removed.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also need the top and both sides :)
I also need to see if I can figure out how to get the glove box out without actually looking under there (vertigo).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ken,

You will need to remove the dash to get that box out and in. It's not that big of a job to pull the dash out. You will need to keep the EFI box installed in the car for all of the electrical to work properly.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff,
It's a 74 GTV converted to Webers... no EFI to worry about. I don't think I want to tackle a dash removal. If that's what is necessary, the glove box stay as is and I find somewhere else to keep the stuff I would put in the glove box :)
Thanks...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ken,

Maybe EFI is not correct(Interlock box?), but you will find that quite a bit of electrical (Alternator, ignition switch ect) is going through it.

I'm in Toronto...leaving this afternoon. Just realized your down the road, small world. I'll be living here by next January, so if you still need to install the glove box I'll be glad to give you a hand.

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee, Toronto in January - that'll be a treat for you! I look forward to meeting you in person. Rossano might pick your brain too so consider yourself warned :)

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Hey Ken,
The parts books say that the 2000 and 1750 gloveboxes have different part numbers but I should have a 1750 box if you'd like to give it a try.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Ken,
The parts books say that the 2000 and 1750 gloveboxes have different part numbers but I should have a 1750 box if you'd like to give it a try.
Thanks Jim,
If I can't find a 2000 locally, I'll look into the 1750. I think I remember Rossano mentioning he got one from you so I may be able to have a look at it for fit. I'll let you know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts