Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the For Sale ad for GTV glass-- reminded me of a experience with mine, about 8-10 years ago.

I had jury duty and was on a murder case (gang stuff). The courthouse is downtown san diego, I live in North County and never get down there. Court starts 'promptly' at 9 am and the judge is kind of no-nonsense. So I blast out at about 8:10 or so, which if all goes right, will give me about 15-20 minutes cushion to be outside the courtroom at about 8:45 lets say.

I get on the one road out to the freeway and its jammed (2 lane country road). Fender bender has everyone jammed up. I start sweating. OK, not too bad, get past the jam and have used up about 10 minutes of cushion, still should be good, right?

On the 5 freeway heading south, listening to the radio, about 70 mph. All is good! Next thing I know, its louder in the car-- more wind noise. ???? Seeing as I'm zipping along in traffic at 70, can;t reallly check it out very well. Anyway, I pull off on civic center drive exit, get to the red light and a BMW pulls up behind me, guy gets out, and runs over to me. Light turns green and I'm thinking a) carjack, and b) no time for this cause if I';m late, the judge will not be happy. I pull through the intersection and over to the side of the road-- guy in BMW gets back in his car and pulls up behind me. I get out, "whats up?". Guy says ===

"your car dropped a piece of glass on the freeway right in front of me, all the pieces hit my windsheild and its all pitted!"

I look at my car and the rear quarter glass was indeed missing!It fell out at 70 mph, that was the increased noise I heard, I threw the guy my business card, told him that I was late for court and told him to call me. He did, I paid him the glass deductible for his new windshield, and made it to court with about 1 minute to spare!

Check your rear quarter glasses for security!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Goats, sounds familiar. I'll post my quarter window story quickly: In high school parking lot 1988, I'm closing my passenger side door, I guess sorta harshly, and the whole window fell out onto the cement, but didn't break! Big Man On Campus Guy walks by and sees the whole thing and just shakes his head in laughter/disgust "Christ, Nelson, get a real car!!" As I'm fidgetting the window back into place , he gets into his Camaro still laughing...which I'm doing today...

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Yep. Non existant rubber block hinges'll do that. For me though, the rear latch kept the window on the car but the glass put a decent scratch in the paint. :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
If it makes you all feel any better, I tried to lower the drivers side window on my 2003 Saab the other day and the whole glass just collapsed into the door cavity.

At least a 35 year old Alfa has an excuse...

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
If it makes you all feel any better, I tried to lower the drivers side window on my 2003 Saab the other day and the whole glass just collapsed into the door cavity.

At least a 35 year old Alfa has an excuse...
I had that happen to my Dodge truck when it was 3 or 4 years old! I must say that other than that it's been pretty much rock solid.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts