Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of GTV Dashboard questions for anyone who may know-
After driving my 1974 GTV 2000 for a few months, I realize I really miss the dash layout of the 1969 GTV 1750 that I used to have. The tachometer is much more of a sporting design for one thing. Anbody ever converted a late 2000 dashboard to the earlier type? Probably not the best idea for originality sake...but any thoughts on that? Also my GTV came with several boxes of parts, among witch is a Speedometer and Tach for a 69 duetto spider. Would these have any potential retrofit purpose to a 74 gtv?

·
Registered
797 Posts
My thoughts would be not to do it. Although some people might think the 1750 dashboard for the GTV is the most beautiful creation since God made women, and I might agree with them even though I too, own a '74, I wouldn't do it because for one thing It Ain't a 1750!!! The bigger motor with the added torque it provides is Alfa Romeo's swan song for the Giulia series and one should never frig around with swan songs...
Some people might think that swapping styling cues from different models might be an "upgrade" but we're talking Italian design here and one shouldn't **** around with Bertone (tossing my hair back) heh heh heh...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I wonder how many of the changes in the GTV 2000 were the result of something other than Bertone designer sensibilities. Personalizing can sometimes bring a car closer to the designer's actual intent. And after all, it's your car. With that said, I think that the dash re-design may well have been design inspired. When I first got my car, a 74, I preferred the 1750 dash layout. Over time, however, the instrument cluster has really grown on me. Functionally, it is great to have everything right in front of you. And stylistically, the integration of the gauges and the lights really works well. I still might want to integrate a 1750 console into my car. I wonder if that can be done while keeping the original dash. I know I could find good uses for those two additional gauges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts