Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GTV Console wiring question & Boot replacement - Lots of pictures

For those that don't know and thanks to my buddy 72GTV1750 for the hint, all you need to do is to unplug the wiring at the front of the console. Do not remove each individual wire connector that you see when you take the ash tray out. You have to fit the temp and defroster controls thru the console and the console takes a 90 degree (Parallel to the dash) turn to remove.

There is what they call an "inner" boot that goes over the top of the trans. I replaced mine since I had everything off but it really didn't need a new one. I bought it last year so figured I might as well put it on. I didn't have:( a new "middle" boot and since the old one wasn't torn, just put 'er back:cool:. The new (from IAP) leather shift boot is taller than the boot I had on - I'll have to see how it looks. It gets stapled on - I used a regular stapler. You have put the boot on in a certain way (no instructions provided:rolleyes:) and you can figure it out by the length of the pleates by the way the leather is sewn. Longest lengths on the sides and with the remaining 2 lengths, the shortest on the top.

I have a green "button" that appears to have a broke connector in the back - anyone know what this is? My owners manual doesn't show this thing? And I have nothing to attach to one female connector on the right side. Again, what's the problem?
First photo shows the "plug."
2nd shows the back of the green "button" that looks like something is broken (the silver thing with the 2 points coming out in the middle of the picture).
3rd shows the connector with nothing to connect to it:(

The rest should be self explanatory

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The remainder of the photos. First shows the middle boot and the last is the inner boot. The inner boot is much heavier than the middle boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just thought I'd bump this questions up cause I'd like to put this back tonight

I have a green "button" that appears to have a broke connector in the back - anyone know what this is? My owners manual doesn't show this thing? And I have nothing to attach to one female connector on the right side. Again, what's the problem?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Jim ,

Best picture (only picture) I have at my desk is this. It's a green button - maybe some sort of add-on that now is obviously non-funtioning. It's below the wipers toggle on the left. I'll shoot a better one tonight.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Looks aftermarket. And I'll hazard a guess that it was for an electric windscreen washer pump.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys:cool: and :eek: how bout the other question about the missing wire on the connector:)

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Oh, that connector. You'll be happy to hear that not all connections on all switches are always used. I assume that the blower works as it should?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh, that connector. You'll be happy to hear that not all connections on all switches are always used. I assume that the blower works as it should?

Don't have a clue. Haven't tried it yet. Might be interesting to try it and see.

Jim

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finished:cool:. Simple enough job:rolleyes: - well except maybe for the job of connecting the defroster screws (especially the top one). Could be my imagination, but shifting now is much smoother and alot faster than it was with the old boot:D.. Gotta go now and polish up the shifter knob;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Nicely done and timely - I was just thinking about replacing my boot. Did you ever figure out what the green button does? I do not have any such switch on my '73 but I do have a black toggle switch under the dash that I think is for the inner fog lights but I haven't gotten around to trace it. It is hard not to want to upgrade these cars today or 30+ years ago...

A quick question for you: Does the leading edge of the ashtray just ride up on top of console. This is how mine is and something doesn't look right but I don't see any other way for it to sit...

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nicely done and timely - I was just thinking about replacing my boot. Did you ever figure out what the green button does? I do not have any such switch on my '73 but I do have a black toggle switch under the dash that I think is for the inner fog lights but I haven't gotten around to trace it. It is hard not to want to upgrade these cars today or 30+ years ago...

A quick question for you: Does the leading edge of the ashtray just ride up on top of console. This is how mine is and something doesn't look right but I don't see any other way for it to sit...

ND - Thanks:)

GB - aftermtk, no idea what for and just put it back to fill the hole. There are no wire connections behind it.

AT - mine I think is pretty flush but when I open it to flick my cigar ashes :rolleyes: it "pops" out of one side so I don't open it anymore. I now flick the cigar ashes out the window:D. I'll give a better look to the ash tray tonight.

Of additional note, my "Warning - attach seat belts" cutout in the dash now lights up:). Apparently the light was pulled out or popped out and never reattached. When I saw the "extra" bulb wire it took me a few minutes to figure out where it might go.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I looked last night:cool:. Not sure what you mean by "leading edge" but the "top" edge that runs parrellel to the dash, is not flush with the console but slightly above it. It does not seem that anything is wrong and I really don't notice anything out of place when I look at it. The "bottom" edge closest to the seats seems flush. What maybe is not placed correctly is the piece with the toggle switches where the lighter is. That piece has to fit in the console. Maybe yours has to be "adjusted" somewhat?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Can you please explain the 90 degree turn in more detail. I got my console out using brute force and it resulted in some minor damage (lifting the rear of the console up enough and pulling straight back. To get it back in we ended up cutting the brace at the bottom of the dashboard end so we could spread the console enough to get it under the dash.
I'd like to do it right next time :)
Thanks!

For those that don't know and thanks to my buddy 72GTV1750 for the hint, all you need to do is to unplug the wiring at the front of the console. Do not remove each individual wire connector that you see when you take the ash tray out. You have to fit the temp and defroster controls thru the console and the console takes a 90 degree (Parallel to the dash) turn to remove.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Can you please explain the 90 degree turn in more detail. I got my console out using brute force and it resulted in some minor damage (lifting the rear of the console up enough and pulling straight back. To get it back in we ended up cutting the brace at the bottom of the dashboard end so we could spread the console enough to get it under the dash.
I'd like to do it right next time :)
Thanks!
NO, NO, NO:)

First, unplug the plug.

Get the screw(s) holding the console to the trans tunnel off first - in my case I only had the one between the seats. There should be another one on the front left of the console (and ? maybe the right). Unscrew the toggle for the mid lights. Unscrew both defroster screws and take them out. By the top screw, take the piece off that underneath contains a bulb light. Be careful on the other part of the defroster plastic piece - it is fragile. Lift the console up and push (gently) the defroster levers thru the console. If you seperate them a bit, they will go thru easily. Now turn the console 90 degrees to the right until it parrellels the dashboard - CAREFUL you don't scratch the console on the trip meter protrustion that's under the dash. Once the console is at the 90 degree position, it can be lifted up to clear the trans housing and the middle boot. Get your seats as far back as they go.

It is a beach (for me anyway) upon putback, to get the top defroster screw on. Do it before you get the console locked down cause you'll have to put your left hand underneath the console to push up the front of the defroster piece to get the screw to connect with your left hand. Make sure all is connected correctly before you tighten the defroster screws and be careful of that plastic piece cause it looks like it would snap if you look at it crooked.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I had removed everything you described:) What did you do about the shift lever? I'm probably missing something obvious (not uncommon). It appeared that the console had to come straight back to clear the shift lever.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To the curious, we finished this discussion up over the phone.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
lowmileage....Question! obove the chrome hand set speedometer set button....you have a black switch....what does it do? also on the console you have two switches on the lower end and one by the climate controle....could you explain what is there functions? i am trying to find out on my 73 gtv...how they work.I did have an air condition and it was removed by the previous owner. Let me know soon if possible.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lowmileage....Question! obove the chrome hand set speedometer set button....you have a black switch....what does it do? also on the console you have two switches on the lower end and one by the climate controle....could you explain what is there functions? i am trying to find out on my 73 gtv...how they work.I did have an air condition and it was removed by the previous owner. Let me know soon if possible.
?#1 - :eek:not sure, I'm not at home:(. Might be the emergency flashers
?#2 - 2 switches on console - fan and wipers, seperate switch fogs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts