Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last LEGAL to import for the USA under classic car LAW. This Alfa Romeo 916 GTV was classic when she born and now after search and research i brought one to the US (i have already Spider 916) so this one is really unique and wanted you to see it's possible and how hard is it. NOT TOO HARD and i can help.

·
Push hard and live
10,917 Posts
I’m enjoying my 99 GTV 2.0 TS greatly. It’s my DD, except for the last few days with a couple of feet of snow in the way.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Push hard and live
10,917 Posts
We’ve all read mixed reports on the turbo 2.0 V6. On the other hand, the 2.0TS does not respond well to be run low on oil, as I rudely learned.

What’s your take on the 2.0V6?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This one is totally modified and maintained.. I hope great deal.. got it few months ago and drives amazing.... also have 6 speed gear so amazing 😻

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Pictures?
What state are you bringing it into?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you saw my videos? What pics? I have 6 Alfas and lot of pics 😎 You in my FB group?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Live that these are finally US legal, not sure how Calif fits in, but would love a Brera Spider when they come avail in a few years. Doesnt sound like Alfa is gonna bring one un anytime soon

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brera will take time, 916 you can bring by the year, today no more then 1996 model. Usually they pass emission in Europe so no problem in CA

·
Push hard and live
10,917 Posts
Mine is a 99. Appears to have come from Canada, through Florida, via New Jersey, to me in Nevada. We know it’s legal because it has a very official looking sticker confirming it was built by Alpha Romeo.

Oferk, yours has the chrome trim around the nose grille, indicating a Phase 2 GTV. My understanding is that those entered production in 1998.

Best not to assume anything about California. They have regulations you might not have predicted.

Reactions: pinshaw

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
We’ve all read mixed reports on the turbo 2.0 V6. On the other hand, the 2.0TS does not respond well to be run low on oil, as I rudely learned.

What’s your take on the 2.0V6?
We didn't get the 2.0V6 here. We did get the 3.0 and 3.2 in the GTV (And of course the 2.5 in the 156). In my humble opinion the post 164 24V engine is the best production engine Alfa made. Cam cover gaskets need changing and the rear main seal always seems to drop oil straight onto the hot exhaust. Cambelt and water pump service every three years is frustrating mostly due to lack of room to work. I could envisage the 2.0Lt having associated turbo problems that would be normal for a car designed in the 1990's. My 3.2 147 pulls 150 in third and you don't wanna know in 4th with two more gears to go. My friend hit 250 in his with plenty more to go. The oil leaks and cambelt are forgotten when you consider the performance.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Live that these are finally US legal, not sure how Calif fits in, but would love a Brera Spider when they come avail in a few years. Doesnt sound like Alfa is gonna bring one un anytime soon
While I think the Brera is a wonderful looking car it is awful to drive. The GM V6 and worse still the 2.2JTS are close to being the worse engines ever put into a alfa. Don't get your hopes up, the Brera is no Alfa.

·
Push hard and live
10,917 Posts
The fellow seems to be (it's a bit vague) to be offering his services to buy 916s. Under the 25 year rule, the first 1996 models can now come over, presumably with minimal hassle. I'm no expert on the 916s, but if the chrome grille surround indicates 98 or later, then how?

My study on the subject hints that the 2.0 turbo was no so much wonderful as it was a way to dodge some tax issues in various countries. I know my 2.0 4cyl doesn't have a lot of low RPM grunt up here at 1,500 meters above sea level (4,750'), so taking a 2.0 V6 with a turbo makes me think it might be even less wonderful before the turbo spooled up.

Reactions: alfettaparts2

·
Registered
759 Posts
While I think the Brera is a wonderful looking car it is awful to drive. The GM V6 and worse still the 2.2JTS are close to being the worse engines ever put into a alfa. Don't get your hopes up, the Brera is no Alfa.
Bummer, I like the new 2017+ driveline, but they havent been faultless either.
Oh well, have to settle for older stuff for now

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Well its only my opinion. Some people love them. I would certainly recommend driving a few before importing one which I know is hard when nobody has imported one.o_O
Both engines have timing chain issues and the V6 has coil and ECU issues. You could forgive the issues if the engines were nice however they are not. Harsh revving GM products that sound like they are going to blow up when pushed to the RPM limit. The 3.2 alfa engine was caned because it could no longer meet emission standards. Its a shame they replaced it with something so awful.

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
36 Posts
....Oferk, yours has the chrome trim around the nose grille, indicating a Phase 2 GTV. My understanding is that those entered production in 1998.
The chrome trim grille is a direct swap and common upgrade. It is not surprising that a modified Ph1 would have a Ph2 grille. In further evidence, I offer my Ph1 2.0L V6 Turbo which was imported from Japan complete with chrome grille.

....My study on the subject hints that the 2.0 turbo was no so much wonderful as it was a way to dodge some tax issues in various countries. I know my 2.0 4cyl doesn't have a lot of low RPM grunt up here at 1,500 meters above sea level (4,750'), so taking a 2.0 V6 with a turbo makes me think it might be even less wonderful before the turbo spooled up.
There is lag in the factory turbo set up for sure, once it is on song though, it boogies real nice. The other advantage to the turbo is the ability to change engine management and turn up the wick. Replacing the turbo with a modern, appropriately sized, EFR unit should make a road rocket. If you really want to get silly, the 2.0L V6 is the 'same' engine as the 3.0L,12V and should just drop in.......with turbo....:love:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The chrome trim grille is a direct swap and common upgrade. It is not surprising that a modified Ph1 would have a Ph2 grille. In further evidence, I offer my Ph1 2.0L V6 Turbo which was imported from Japan complete with chrome grille.

There is lag in the factory turbo set up for sure, once it is on song though, it boogies real nice. The other advantage to the turbo is the ability to change engine management and turn up the wick. Replacing the turbo with a modern, appropriately sized, EFR unit should make a road rocket. If you really want to get silly, the 2.0L V6 is the 'same' engine as the 3.0L,12V and should just drop in.......with turbo....:love:
At last LEGAL to import for the USA under classic car LAW. This Alfa Romeo 916 GTV was classic when she born and now after search and research i brought one to the US (i have already Spider 916) so this one is really unique and wanted you to see it's possible and how hard is it. NOT TOO HARD and i can help.
Nice to see more of the 916s in the USA I got mine out of Canada 6 years ago 916 2.0 T-Spark 1997 Spider LHD With US spec. stickers Safety and EPA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts