Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rescue this GTV6!

I found this '84 GTV6 at a salvage shop near my office in Denver, CO. They're going to crush it next week. I met Alfaro through Craigslist and he generously helped me get connected here.

I have a special place in my heart for GTV6's because I worked at The Royal Carriage Works in Denver where these were sold new. If this one was sold in Denver, I may well have driven it.
:laugh2::crying2:

The shop said they started it and it runs well, although the windshield is gone and it's been raining this week. It would probably be fine if it was allowed to dry out a bit.

The car is at USA Enterprises, 5255 E. 48th Ave, 80216. They will sell it for $500. I was tempted to buy it and sell parts, but I've already got two projects going on. I did take the seats for one of my projects. The phone number is 303-501-3884. If anyone wants to rescue it, just call and talk to Dave or Doggel or the shop owner, Stefan.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I talked to Stefan this morning. He says he'll put the car aside for a month or so. That gives you guys a little more time! Man, wouldn't that drivetrain be awesome for a Caterham Lotus 7 kit car?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hope someone jumps on that for at least the good remaining parts! The rubber impact strips along the length of the sides might suggest it's an '81. But, the seats are 1984-86.

Just the Brembo front calipers, the rear bumper, and the tail light lenses should be worth more than the asking price, alone. As the crushed body metal is only going to be worth the scrap metal weight, they may be a bit flexible on a purchase price.

Worst case, I would think, is to purchase the car for the best price you can get. Ask if the car can sit there for a few days, while you pirate all the decent parts off it. And then sell the remainder of the hulk back to the scrap yard to crush. Could end up the best of both worlds? They still get a major portion of the car for scrap metal, and you don't have to find a place to store it while you remove the good stuff.

Those rear bumper aprons are in high demand, if not warped. The two plastic jugs under the hood. The air filter can. Rear hatch, with glass and gasket. Radiator with fans. Door cards. Window switches. Speedo, tach, and clock. Glove box door. Exterior and interior door handles, with bezels. All 3 mirrors. Joy stick for exterior mirrors. Column switch pack. Tea tray on hood. Grille, if in good shape. Etc, Etc. All easy to remove and in demand.

If someone decides to try that... let me know if the glove box door is in nice shape.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
BTW... I had bought a complete GTV6, in the past from a salvage yard, for under $300. After towing it home, I found it had been outfitted, by a PO, with Shankle headers, upgraded sway bars, and a few other goodies that amounted to more than I paid for the entire car. May be some similar bonuses hiding on that one, too??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks to Alfaro and rmvracer for posting this , I just made a deal today for the whole car. It Was obviously well loved, 81000 miles, NO RUST, No speaker holes in the door cards great carpets and rear deck,... I'm torn between cutting up this one for donor sheet metal for my 85, or doing extensive body work,(roof, pass side door, f &r 1/4's), and saving this one. I'll entertain part requests as I make a decision as to the fate of this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys! Glad to know the car could be saved! I was so tempted to buy it myself, but it would have been a mess for me. Mrweirdwrench, good luck with the car! I look forward to hearing what you end up doing with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mr. Wrench, good luck with your choices. but.....
I need the right rear view mirror and the interior rear view, as well. I could use the ignition switch and key and the center console ash try.
Please let me know and, again, good luck
Brian in Big Sur

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'd sure like to see this car saved, instead of hacked up for parts. Rust-free GTV6's are getting to be rare...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Man, if i were anywhere near Denver I would have bought that car already because who can't use an Italian drivetrain? ;) It kills me to see cars like this going to the crusher. I hope someone gets it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts