Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GTV-6 "Wood" Steering Wheel

Wanted in very good condition: One, original equipment, simulated wood steering wheel as came installed on the GTV-6 ('81 to '84).

Please send me PM if you have one available for sale.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
15,842 Posts
As I remember (at least I think, lol), the GTV6 steering wheel wasn't actual wood but plastic painted with a wood pattern coating. I have seen a worn steering wheel with white plastic showing from underneath the worn areas. I think the gear shift knob was the same.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I remember (at least I think, lol), the GTV6 steering wheel wasn't actual wood but plastic painted with a wood pattern coating. I have seen a worn steering wheel with white plastic showing from underneath the worn areas. I think the gear shift knob was the same.
Hi Del,

I am not sure either, but I believe you are correct. The GTV6 being restored had a wood steering wheel fitted on it, exactly like the one shown in these eBay auctions:

Alfa Alfetta GTV6 GTV Steering Wheel 1984 | eBay

Alfa Alfetta GTV GTV6 33 75 Wooden Steering Wheel 116 90 V6 Giulietta | eBay

I have always liked this type of steering wheel. I believe some were fitted to Alfetta's, Alfa 6's, and early Alfa 75's. At any rate this type of steering wheel was on the GTV6 before the refresh project started. It, the steering wheel, needs a complete restoration.

Per an earlier post, elsewhere on the AlfaBB, I am also looking in to some steering wheel restoration services listed in Hemming's Motors News. I don't have time to do it myself, with too many other projects going on. If a nice one comes along I would be very interested in snapping it up.

Best regards,

Tim

·
Premium Member
15,842 Posts
While I liked that steering wheel on my GTV6's, In some respects I like the one on the 164 more, not because it has that big airbag lump in the middle, but because it is nice leather, and has the horn buttons right where my thumbs rest, almost instant response without thinking of where the horn button is.

The stock plastic/rubber steering wheel on the 89 Milano was hated by both of us, awful feel, so I mounted a nice leather covered slightly small dia Motolita wheel on the hub, with a center from a Giulia Sprint GT. Looks really nice, as the older Alfas used to have, and we love the feel of the leather, slips just right.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
That wheel only came on 81-early 83 US cars, and as others suggest, it is plastic with woodgrain lookalike finish. The later, leather wheels really are superior. But if you want the fake wood one, look for one from an early car. Those cars as fitted would also have had a fake wood/plastic gear knob. The later cars received the leather wheel and black plastic gear knob.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While I liked that steering wheel on my GTV6's, In some respects I like the one on the 164 more, not because it has that big airbag lump in the middle, but because it is nice leather, and has the horn buttons right where my thumbs rest, almost instant response without thinking of where the horn button is.

The stock plastic/rubber steering wheel on the 89 Milano was hated by both of us, awful feel, so I mounted a nice leather covered slightly small dia Motolita wheel on the hub, with a center from a Giulia Sprint GT. Looks really nice, as the older Alfas used to have, and we love the feel of the leather, slips just right.
Hi Del,

I know exactly what you mean about the horn buttons, where the thumbs rest. This is at about at the 10 & 2 o' clock position. Very handy indeed. My '95 LS's original steering wheel has a smaller circumference leather rim vs some other LS's I've seen/driven, and the horn is operated only on the center pad, no separate buttons by the thumbs.

Really, I thought most all Milano's came with leather steering wheels, at least leather on the outer rim? But what do I know? I really like the original leather wheel on my '88 Verde, although the rim has a smaller circumference vs the 164 steering wheel, it is still easy to drive with.

Cheers,

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts