Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this GTV-6 a few months ago and it had a rear spoiler mounted on the hatch back. I'm considering removing it since I don't recall this being an original Alfa accessory. I'm still undecided as to whether it helps or hurts the car's overall appearance. Does anyone know who made a spoiler like this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
That spoiler originally came mounted on the Alfetta 'Velocissima' edition, along with wheel flares, and a longer rear lip spoiler in either '78 or '79. It is 'Alfa correct' - just not for a GTV-6. Check out the first picture in the "MadMaxAlfettaRustProject" for the same spoiler + the rear one (and rear flairs farther down the thread).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That spoiler originally came mounted on the Alfetta 'Velocissima' edition, along with wheel flares, and a longer rear lip spoiler in either '78 or '79. It is 'Alfa correct' - just not for a GTV-6. Check out the first picture in the "MadMaxAlfettaRustProject" for the same spoiler + the rear one (and rear flairs farther down the thread).
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I like it, along with the black license plate trim, I think it makes the GTV-6 look a little bit more interesting. And usually I'm one that prefers OEM look, but the cool thing here is, it is OEM. <grin>

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far two posters like it, two posters don't, and another board member is first in line to buy it if I decide to remove it. I guess I need to stare at it some more before deciding what to do now that I know that it's an Alfa part.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Well - I vote you keep it on, if only to help protect the rear seatbacks from sunburn!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Post more pics of your really nice Silver GTV-6.

Original paint or was it redone? What's the story on your car?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Post more pics of your really nice Silver GTV-6.

Original paint or was it redone? What's the story on your car?
I haven't taken many photos yet as I've spent more time on sorting the car out. Here's one I posted on the local forum:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68089&stc=1&d=1180357734

I went through a few modern sports cars and decided to come back to Alfa for my fun car. I found this one being sold on consignment and bought it in May.

It has about 86K on the clock. The paint appears to have been re-done in the original color. The paint has a few flaws but is generally in good condition.

The Benzoni wheels are in bad shape cosmetically but will soon be replaced by a set of Campagnolos that I bought from a board member. The tires are 8 years old so they're going as well.

The velour seats are intact but appear to be faded (they look more brown than black). I may have them reupholstered once I can rationalize the cost.

This car has noticeably more punch than the GTV-6 I parted with in 2001. I'm not aware of any modifications other than the ANSA exhaust, but it supposedly had recent valve work. Maybe something extra was done by the former owner during that service.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Speaking of spoilers. Would any of you guys suggest a spoiler that will give more down force to the rear wheels? Has anyone here attempted such a modification? Obviously I would use it for the track.
There is one guy that races with us that has one for looks and it actually looks ridiculous!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Speaking of spoilers. Would any of you guys suggest a spoiler that will give more down force to the rear wheels? Has anyone here attempted such a modification? Obviously I would use it for the track.
There is one guy that races with us that has one for looks and it actually looks ridiculous!
I think you would need an awfully fast gtv6 for it to matter. There have been some pretty fast gtv6's without them, so I dont know how much differance they would make.

Here are some examples of custom spoilers...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
TCL - that spoiler looks to be designed to push air down over the rear window delaying separation until the tail of the car. This improves the drag co-eff and if the air is run over an additional spoiler that would be mounted at the end of the hatch (like a BMW 3.0 CSL or Impreza Sti) ti would produce some downforce/cut lift.

At the moment, its probably just creating lift (as it doesn't have the second spoiler to generate downforce/cut lift) as well as keeping your rear window free of water in the rain! Would be interesting to do some wool tuft tests with and without.

As far as asethetics go, I'd remove it, unless you fit the rest of the gear required to make it work/make it look credible.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

At the moment, its probably just creating lift (as it doesn't have the second spoiler to generate downforce/cut lift) as well as keeping your rear window free of water in the rain! Would be interesting to do some wool tuft tests with and without.

As far as asethetics go, I'd remove it, unless you fit the rest of the gear required to make it work/make it look credible.
That's the conclusion I came to this weekend. I think the car looks better without it. I don't track the car so the only benefit I see is possibly a little less turbulence with the sunroof open.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those who inquired about the spoiler, it is now off the car and in the hands of the first board member who requested it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks for removing it. Please destroy it, rather than give it away.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8-L-fMz2yI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L8-L-fMz2yI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts