Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know the exact length of the GTV-6 power window cable and have any tips on installing a new one. [email protected]. By the way, this forum is great. Thanks to all of the folks on it who have replied to questions that have arisen re. keeping our pets on the road.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
once youve done one its pretty simple......what i would sugjest is to take apart one of your other 3 working units so you can fully understand how its done

basicaly you have 2 tensioners on the cable and it coils around a pullley after looping over another set of pulleys so that you have up and down forces.....

NEVER assist a slow moveing window by pushing or pulling on it or the tension on the cable gets undone and the whole thing unravvles off track

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTV-6 power window cables

Well, I am about half way there on my replacement of the cables and found out some things that may help others. First the cable length: The cable length is 86 inches. Second: Cable thickness: Though the original cable is 2mm, I tried it and am dropping down to 1/16th or 1.5mm cable because the SS, 2mm braided cable from a bicycle shop is to "springy" and its a bugger to work with. The 1.5,mm is easier and appears to be stronger and of better quality than the original, and should work fine. FYI there is a new nylon braided cable available from Dupont, but I have only been able to find it with the sleeve, and rather than $5.00 for a 9 foot length, it is about $40.00. The bicycle shop tells me, though, that it is unbreakable and almost impervious to wear. My steel cable last 22 years, though, so I am sticking with the SS cable. Third: When winding the cable on the drum, keeping it from flying off when installing it is really a challeng. Try windin it and then clipping the two cables together, at the drum, with a clamp or vice grips, over an aluminum clip, to keep everything together while you put it in place. That's it for now. More to follow next weekend. Ron Johnston

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GTV-6 power window cable, replacement

As an update for other GTV-6 owners who have to go thru this arduous task, the window cable has been replaced, now, and it works very well, thank you, and I modified it for future longevity and, hopefully, trouble-free operation. Here are the specs, steps, and my obeservations on the install, after about 8 install-remove, change, alter, cycles.

1. Get a 2mm cable, galvanized steel, not stainless. I bought mine from a company, on the Net, called "----- Rigging.com", in the Chicago area. I bought 40 feet of cable, half is 2mm, non plastic coated, galvbanized steel, and 20 feet is 1.5mm, plastic coated, galvanized, (as an alternated back up). I used the non-coated for this job.
2. Though someone suggested the length to be 88.9", I found that to be too long for the GTV-6, (may be right for the Alfetta), and wound up at 86.5".
3. I found that the upper cable goes to the pully side that faces the inside of the car and the lower, (downward-pull) cable goes to the outside of the pulley.
4. The window heighth is 13.2", which is 3.03 turns on the spool, (1.5" x PI)= 4.7".
5. Wrap, counterclockwise, the cable onto the pulley, (inside edge), 3 turns, and put the end thru the hole, through the center, and secure with a stop. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the spool to hold the cable in place. Now, take the other end and, beginning 6 inches from the end, wrap, clockwise, starting at the pulley bottom, 1.5 turns, and thru the pulley, through the center, and secure with a stop. Now, wrap a piece of masking tape over that cable.
6. Take the lower pulley off of the door, (it makes it much easier); put the motor assembly back in place, with the gear and spool, and insert back into the door panel. Run the top cable over the top pulley and down through the clamp on the window. Put the lower pulley back in, guiding the cable onto it, and secure the clamp. removbe the tape. Now hand crank the window up and down a few times, to make sure that everything goes where it is supposed to go. The pulley/motor assembly can take out slack, or allow it, up to about 3/8". If you run into a continuing situation, like I did, where you either have too little slack, or too much, (due to where the pulley position is when you start), and don't want to do this again, you can create a a tensioner device, which I have now done, so that the slack is not as crucial, and I have about 3/4" of movement in the device, which just screws to the inner bottom panel of the door, ensuring that there is always tension on the cable. Good luck and write if I can be of help. Happy New Year! alfaron1, [email protected]

·
Registered
546 Posts
Slightly off-topic. but I recently had the motor fail on my GTV6 driver's-side power window. Not wanting to pay nearly $150 for a new motor and having a spare Milano motor handy, I found that it wasn't too difficult to modify the Milano motor shaft and mounting holes to fit it to the GTV6 window gearbox --- took about an hour using just a hacksaw (to cut off part of the Milano motor shaft) and a bench grinder (to grind the diameter of the shaft down slightly, and to grind a flat on the end to make it D-shaped). Works fine now. But in the process of taking out the motor, I of course had to let tension off the window regulator cable, and though the motor replacement was pretty easy, I spent about three hours messing with the cable and pulleys to get the thing to mount back into the door panel and wind up and down correctly! Arrgghhhhhh......

Dave Spiegelthal

'87 Milano
'85 GTV6
'77 Lancia Beta HPE
'77 Fiat X1/9
'71 Fiat 850 Spider

1 - 7 of 7 Posts