Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. Spring is arriving and the GTV-6 is making its way out of the garage.. Time to look into these pesty lowbeams which decided to stop working before the winter..

I did a bunch of searching and found a few pages on taking the power away from the "switch" on the headlight/turn signal stalk. Greg Gordon's kit etc. Cool stuff, and probably will go that route soon, but I'm trying to figure out what's happened before I go that way.

Lowbeams do come on with the Highbeam at the stalk engaged, either in the down or pulling towards driver positions, so my immediate thoughts are it's the switch itself has gone bad at the steering wheel, but short of buying a replacement $$, is there anything I could test with my Digital Multimeter to identify that is in fact the problem?

I've checked all the grounds and headlights themselves, all seem good, other question i have is, can there still be something wrong front of the firewall if the lowbeams do work when highbeams are selected? Thanks for any help.. :)

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
The switch is notorious for always being the faulty party. I have been without the highbeam position in my GTV6 for easy 10 years. You can probably get in column after removing the plastic covering to poke around with a multimeter. I would probably say it is the switch and not the wiring if they work in the highbeam position.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The "lowbeams" that come on with the hibeams are on a different circuit than the lowbeams. That is why there are 3 terminals on the lowbeam bulbs and only 2 on the hibeam bulbs.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
correct..3 pin headlights are high AND low 2 pin headlights are high only

10-1 odds are your switch is toast but.. what i would test first would be to volt check with switch on in low check for any power at both low beam headlights..if you have power your bulbs are toast...next double check the fuses..tweek the tabs so there all a little tighter..make sure there is ZERO corosion on all points both fuses and holders...next pull open the column covers and volt test the switch..im not sure what wire it is that should have power tho off hand as i dont have a wireing diagram in front of me

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I will throw in another vote for the Switch. I have installed Greg's relay kit for the lights on my GTV6 and it makes a difference. I am also running Hella lights on my GTV6 and don't have any issues.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, my whole reasoning (probably not the best word to use with my limited electrical knowledge heh) for thinking it might be something other than the switch is, I had the lights on when they last worked, came home and realized they went out... Seems a bit odd the switch would go in the ON position no?

I went through the fuses and replaced them all to the correct amps, although I'm not completely counting the fuses, fuse box, wiring etc. out...

Easiest route will probably be replace the switch and see where it goes from there, but this thread will hopefully be helpful to someone like me wondering the same.

Italcarnut if you can PM me what you're looking for it.. I'd be interested my car is an 84. thanks

Another question, I know this sounds dumb, how would I do a test with my multimeter for the switch? connect it to the wire that goes to the fusebox from the switch off/on? +/-? Continuity test? Thanks, I don't mind if you speak to me like a 3 year old concerning this. :)

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
A switch in the open position wouldn't be moving any current so the chances of a switch frying in the open position is nil. So if it was going to fail due to an over current it would happen when closed.

Mine failed after I installed the eurocode H4's without the relays. Now when I switch to the highbeams I see a little spark in the switch and no headlights! Its ok, I don't drive her at night.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL.. to the small spark and "beating" it by just not driving at night.. :)

Another small note if this says anything anyone can decipher.. The high-beams actually don't work in the down position (like previously mentioned) unless it is fully spun to the Headlight On position, then all four lights work, is this normal? ring any bells to anyone? thanks.

PS.. it's really hard to diagnose headlight issues during the day.. ha haaa..
I'm parking in front of a window next time, hopefully that helps. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts